Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What arrow mass will achieve tha maximum momentum? >

What arrow mass will achieve tha maximum momentum?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What arrow mass will achieve tha maximum momentum?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 PM

Default RE: What arrow mass will achieve tha maximum momentum?

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Not trying to argue here but if you can get 300fps with a 560 grain arrow with an 82nd at 73 pounds I will drive to your house and kiss your rear end.

A 560 grain arrow should be clocking at about 280ish with a 30 inch draw and 73 pounds.

A 480 - 490 grain arrow will be hovering around the 300fps mark.
I gotta say, I trust you (bigbulls) more than anyone else on this forum, not to bash the rest of you. I value all of your opinions. But I need to know where you are getting your figures from. Please let me know. By the way, a480 grain arrow would be just fine. At 300 FPS, that would hit hard!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

My 60# 28" draw 82nd produces more KE with a 400 grain arrow than it does a 500 grain arrow. That was computed from actual performance not some software

Dan
Nothing like actually trying it out. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I have found Archers Advantage to be more accurate than ot2 and it says 291 BUT,bowtech gives the ibo from 342 to 350 and I believe AA uses the top end.If the bow only hits the low end,that puts it at or around 283 fps.

That should get it done regardless.
How would I get that software. By the way, I love Hoyt. I own two of them. A little out of date (30 years) though. Just post the URL. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:56 PM

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Not trying to argue here but if you can get 300fps with a 560 grain arrow with an 82nd at 73 pounds I will drive to your house and kiss your rear end.

A 560 grain arrow should be clocking at about 280ish with a 30 inch draw and 73 pounds.

A 480 - 490 grain arrow will be hovering around the 300fps mark.
I'm just saying what OT2 quoted it as an "expected" speed. I thought it seemed a little FAST as well, but that I believe is the downside of OT2, I'm not 100% sure all of their calculations are correct. It puts my Trykon XL at 286fps as I have it set-up, but I've only gotten as fast as 276-277 blowing through a chrono. So I'm sure that's a HIGH guestimation. But even at 280, that's SMOKING for a LOG!!!!
I think the only way we are going to know for sure is to bust out the chronograph and test out a bunch of different weights. I really don't have that kind of money to find the perfect arrow weight. Maybe some day.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Going to a heavier arrow ALWAYS results in an increase in both momentum and kinetic energy. The reason for this is that,upon release,stored potential energy in the limbs is transferred more efficiently to the kinetic energy of arrows of greater mass than of lower mass. That's just fundamental mechanics and the rule can't be violated.

Sometimes, especialywhen the increase in arrow mass is small and/or measurement equipment/setupin testing is not precise,one can obtain results that SEEM to go against the physics. The reality is simply that measurement noise is larger than the effect of the change in mass.

In short, if you are trying to maximize ke/momentum there is no optimum arrow weight. Heavier is always better. However, as some have pointed out, the heavier the arrow the lower the velocity and hence there's the rub. As you gain in penetration potential you lose in trajectory so this is the tradeoff you have to accept.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Going to a heavier arrow ALWAYS results in an increase in both momentum and kinetic energy. The reason for this is that, upon release, stored potential energy in the limbs is transferred more efficiently to the kinetic energy of arrows of greater mass than of lower mass. That's just fundamental mechanics and the rule can't be violated.

Sometimes, especialy when the increase in arrow mass is small and/or measurement equipment/setup in testing is not precise, one can obtain results that SEEM to go against the physics. The reality is simply that measurement noise is larger than the effect of the change in mass.

In short, if you are trying to maximize ke/momentum there is no optimum arrow weight. Heavier is always better. However, as some have pointed out, the heavier the arrow the lower the velocity and hence there's the rub. As you gain in penetration potential you lose in trajectory so this is the tradeoff you have to accept.
If that is the case, I would like to be able to shoot 300 fps.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I pulled an 82nd off the rack.The 29" module is installedand pulled 72.5 pounds. Add about 10-12 fps for another inch of draw length and you can get a pretty good idea what it will do.

It was shot through an Easton professional chronograph.

443 grain arrow...302 fps
502 grain arrow...283 fps
625 graub arrow... 256 fps

Old 05-16-2008, 08:16 AM

I pulled an 82nd off the rack. The 29" module is installed and pulled 72.5 pounds. Add about 10-12 fps for another inch of draw length and you can get a pretty good idea what it will do.

It was shot through an Easton professional chronograph.

443 grain arrow... 302 fps
502 grain arrow... 283 fps
625 graub arrow... 256 fps
You're the best. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Going to a heavier arrow ALWAYS results in an increase in both momentum and kinetic energy.

You know what they say about ALWAYS![8D]

My 82 actually picked KE going from a 500 grain arrow to a 400 grain arrow.

I know what you are saying is usually true, but the gain is small in comparison to speed lost.

Definitely Not Always though!

Dan
Old 05-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know what they say about ALWAYS![8D]
Yes I do, and sometimes ALWAYS is the correct term. Just as force is ALWAYS a function of mass and acceleration, and trajectory is ALWAYS a function of velocity and g, bow efficiency is ALWAYS an increasingfunction of arrow mass and therefore,ke/momentum always ALWAYS increase as you increase the mass of the arrow. The increase may be small but it will ALWAYS be an increase. As I said before, it's fundamental mechanics. Don't take my word for it, there are plenty of books and internet sites where you can find out for yourself.

Have a great day!

Quick Reply: What arrow mass will achieve tha maximum momentum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.