Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What is the lightest arrow on the market? >

What is the lightest arrow on the market?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is the lightest arrow on the market?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 AM

Default RE: What is the lightest arrow on the market?

High Country Archery has an arrow that runs 5 grains per inch. Thats going to increase the noise of your bow shot though.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Good convo the other day.

And there is such thing as too Much FOC. on a light shaft with light components a 185-200 grain broadhead will bea royal PITA to tune......
Old 05-11-2008, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

If your bow blows up shooting those ultra light arrows , have your next of kin notify us with the results .........
Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

My recomendation would be to stay away from those soda straws that High Country makes. In order to get the weight down they have to remove lots of material that is normally used to provide strength to the arrow shaft. My hunting partner shot them about 2 years ago. When shooting them, his bow (same model as mine) was about 2X as loud. Add to the fact that he broke arrows more than twice as often as I did simply due to the shafts cracking.

IMHO, you would be better off with just about anything else.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

First of all, the 82nd at 73 pounds will need an arrow that will spine properly for a corrected draw weight of about 85 pounds. You need a much stiffer arrowthan you would need with a typical single cam bow at the same specs.

Forget about the weight of an arrow and make sure that you have a properly spined arrow. The 82nd is MOOOOORE than fast enough to propel a 450 grain arrow at around 300fps with your draw weight and draw length.

Some arrows that would work well for you are...
Maxima 350 which you are already using.
Carbon Express CX400
Easton ACC 3-71
Easton epic, axis 300
Beman ICS 300
Gold Tip 7595

They don't make a Redline that will spine properly for your bow.
They don't make an ACE that will spine properly for your bow.

The Gold Tip Pro Hunter Black 7595 and Carbon Express Maxima Black 350 are ideal for that set-up. However, the ideal we3ight is back to 365 grains total, which means I need to loose 70.18 grains to get down to 365 grains total arrow weight.
Why do you figure the "ideal weight" should be 365 grains. This is far from ideal. It is the MINIMUM arrow weight that Bowtech will cover under warranty should your bow break. IMO an ideal weight for you would be an arrow weighing 500 - 550 grains and shot between 275 and 290 fps. I would opt for heavier. Your bow will be quieter, last longer, less hand shock and vibration, strings last longer, easier to shoot accurately, your kinetic energy will go up a couple of foot pounds and your momentum will go up a great deal which will greatly increase penetration.
Ditto Elkcrazy.

I think someone here has no idea what he's getting into, and all those black sticks are going to be lost pretty quickly. Additionally, that lack of knowledge and desire to chase SPEED can have some very DANGEROUS results. Correct spine should be your PRIMARY concern. That 82nd will give you more speed with a 500gr arrow than most guys can achieve with a 350gr arrow out of their bows, no reason to push the envelop too far. From reading the posts, someone sounds like a newer archer, with more money than sense, that may end up hating archery if he doesn't learn that archery isn't about SPEED, it's far more about the "ARC" of the arrow. I suppose threads like this make me understand why I've heard so many stories about Bowtech limbs blowing up.
Black Stick,
Do yourself a favor, follow bigbulls' advice, it will help you astronomically.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:18 AM

I realize that it might seem that I am a beginner, but I have been shooting for 5 years and love it. I have shot several bows (some older than me) and I just got a new one. I have assembled several bows including my new one, built 3 outdoor ranges and shoot for at least 2 hours everyday. All of this practice can result in a pretty good archer. Last year I shot a 300 with a 30+ year old bow. I love it. A lot of people assume that I am new because I do try to push the envelope. I had never OWNED a high performance bow before and just used what I could afford. I never really learned any of the terminology because I did most of the stuff on my own. I am not mad at "OHbowhntr" for the above comment, I'm used to it. No hard feelings. I plan to continue using the carbon express maxima 350 3D selects, which I just got done fletching (all black, of course).

I asked this question because I wanted to push the envelope, to see what my new set-up could do. My friend has a chronograph and I wanted to launch an arrow as fast as possible through it. How fast does it go? I don't know yet, but I plan to find out. Another one of my buddies ordered some high country arrows and I bought one of the dozen that he ordered from him. I am going to shoot it once through the chronograph. I estimate that it will weigh 285 grains with an 85 grain tip and feathers. One time! It's not going to snap my limbs. I really just want to be able to say that my compound bow is faster than my buddies cross bow. I will let you all know as soon at I test it.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:38 PM

I'm firmly convinced that a bow hunter should not own a chronograph!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Black Stick, be very careful. Do not push the envelope. Yes, one shot with too light an arrow can ruin your new bow. Your bow is a bow, not a crossbow. Shooting arrows below 5 grains per pound is a recipe for disaster, shooting an arrow less than 300 grains is very dangerous. It is obvious that you really do not have a good understanding of the mechanics and physics of shooting a compound bow.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really just want to be able to say that my compound bow is faster than my buddies cross bow.
What does it matter?

It means nothing, especially if your compound won't launch the same weight arrow faster... It most likely won't BTW unless he has an elcheapo beginner crossbow.
Even then, your buddy could just as easily make a carbon crossbow bolt with light weight components and stay ahead of you in your speed game.

Look, we have given all the advice we can give you. If you choose to be stubborn andnot listen to the advice that been giventhat's up to you.
I just hope that you areaware that you could seriously injure yourself, others, and damage your equipment. If I were your buddyIwouldn't shoot with you.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

To save yourself some grief I can tell you, right now, how fast that 285 grain arrow will go out of your bow.

375-385fps.

There, now you know and you don't have to break your bow to find out.

Quick Reply: What is the lightest arrow on the market?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.