Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

concerned..

Old 04-06-2008, 07:06 AM

Default concerned..

If I go for a new bow, say the Black Ice, I will be giving up around 25 fps, that's ok, im dealing with that, but I will also loose about 15# of KE as well. Put me at around 59# of KE, I was at 73#. should I be concerned about pass throughs?? I wouldn't think so, but you may know better than me.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: concerned..

I read somewhere you needed about 45 ft lbs of ke to pass through or effectively harvest any north american game. Me personally I like the most I can get, I just bought a commander from Ben on here and am looking at the numbers on it and they show 78 ft lbs but I dont know how they got that number on bowtechs website. I am currently shooting about 78 ft lbs with my darton. I would not think you should have any problems with harvesting any north american game, however I don't think you should loose that much ke with a black ice. Maybe you need to try some different weighted shafts till you get the ke up a little bit, thats what I did with the bow I have now, I found that at a certain point in going up on the weight of the shaft my ke started to dropthats where I stopped and built arrows to match that weight (using weight tubes). For my darton that weight that gave me the most ke was 440g, that # will be different with different bows. When the commander comes inI will do the same with that and let you know what the different weight shafts give me as far as ke if ya want.......
Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 AM

Ok, I found that it says for deer at least 25-40# of KE is needed to kill a deer. So I guess 59# is plenty!! Im shooting a 367 gr arrow, and I will be pulling 70+ # so it may sqeeze out a bit more.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:47 AM

Depends on the head you use. With a heavy enough arrow and fixed blades it should work fine if you pick your shot well. Some mechancals will give you problems though, especially the bigger ones.

Paul
Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 AM

fixed heads of course ..
Old 04-06-2008, 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

If I go for a new bow, say the Black Ice, I will be giving up around 25 fps, that's ok, im dealing with that, but I will also loose about 15# of KE as well. Put me at around 59# of KE, I was at 73#. should I be concerned about pass throughs?? I wouldn't think so, but you may know better than me.
Why, are you going after Cape Buffalo anytime soon?[&:] I'd really wish the fairy tale of needing gobs of KE and 500grain arrows for adequate penetration would just go away.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:11 AM

If your strength dictates that you shoot a bow that only produces 59 ft. lbs. K.E. that's what you will have to live with. That amount of K.E. is plenty for most game in this country. What you might find is that you can shoot more before tiring and you might also pick up some accuracy you haven't seen before
Old 04-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

A Black Ice shooting at 70#'s and a 27" draw (forgot exactly what yours is) shooting a 28" 500 grain arrow with a 20% FOCwill have a KE of 67.25 and be shooting at 244FPS. Something to think about unless you are a speed junkie LOL .
Old 04-06-2008, 09:44 AM

thanks Bruce. Im selling the X Force, doing away with all the speed and trying to become more accurate, with that said, I realize I will take a loss in speed going to a Black Ice and I will lose some KE as well. with the X Force Im shooting 295 fps with roughly 75 lbs of KE at 73# at 26" draw. this a 365 gr arrow.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do understand one's concern for KE and penetration, we all want the most we can wringout of our setup. But there is so much more to it than just a number!

You want a bow to be a rock solid stable platform in your hands by which you can deliver your shaft accuratelyin any kind of hunting situation that may arise. You can't have that if you are continuously fighting the bow because of being"over bowed"either by weight, draw length, or the design of the bow. The way it draws, holds, fits your person, and hunting style, can't be overlooked. It is easy to get sucked into the "need for speed" vaccum, especially when a person just looks at it from a numbers only point of view.

I'll takea pin point accurate delivery of an arrow with 59 ft lbs of KE for any big game animal in North America than a not so accurate shot with a 100 ft lbs of KE any day of the week. Of course so would everybody else in their right mind so where is the problem? It reallyis in our perespective.

I have killed a bull elk with no problems with 59 lbs of KE. There are others who have killed them with much less.On the other handI have shot a nice Whitetail buck with asharp two blade head,using a setup that produced 70 ft lbs of KE through the meaty part of the shoulders, never hitting a bone, and didn't get a pass through. There are so many variables in hunting that you can't control. The one thing that you can control, that you should indeed control, is accuracy.

For what it is worth my advice would be to find a setup that you can shoot deadly accurate and as long as the numbers are reasonable, let the chips fall where they may.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: concerned..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.