HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - concerned..
Thread: concerned..
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Antler Eater
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: concerned..

I do understand one's concern for KE and penetration, we all want the most we can wringout of our setup. But there is so much more to it than just a number!

You want a bow to be a rock solid stable platform in your hands by which you can deliver your shaft accuratelyin any kind of hunting situation that may arise. You can't have that if you are continuously fighting the bow because of being"over bowed"either by weight, draw length, or the design of the bow. The way it draws, holds, fits your person, and hunting style, can't be overlooked. It is easy to get sucked into the "need for speed" vaccum, especially when a person just looks at it from a numbers only point of view.

I'll takea pin point accurate delivery of an arrow with 59 ft lbs of KE for any big game animal in North America than a not so accurate shot with a 100 ft lbs of KE any day of the week. Of course so would everybody else in their right mind so where is the problem? It reallyis in our perespective.

I have killed a bull elk with no problems with 59 lbs of KE. There are others who have killed them with much less.On the other handI have shot a nice Whitetail buck with asharp two blade head,using a setup that produced 70 ft lbs of KE through the meaty part of the shoulders, never hitting a bone, and didn't get a pass through. There are so many variables in hunting that you can't control. The one thing that you can control, that you should indeed control, is accuracy.

For what it is worth my advice would be to find a setup that you can shoot deadly accurate and as long as the numbers are reasonable, let the chips fall where they may.

Good luck.