Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How do you cut Aluminum arrows? >

How do you cut Aluminum arrows?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How do you cut Aluminum arrows?

Old 02-17-2003, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default How do you cut Aluminum arrows?

How do you cut aluminum arrows? Is a copper tubbing cutter OK?
Old 02-17-2003, 05:38 AM

Default RE: How do you cut Aluminum arrows?

Well Striper, I my self use a copper cutter. How ever, when you do, you somewhat flange the end of your arrow inboard. What I do is mark about an 1/8 longer and then cut applying 1/4-1/2 twist at a time and then spin the cutter twice around. Repeat until cut through. To take care of the flange, I use a grinder ever so gently shaving away to the length I want, cleaning up the burs, and it works great. Now I have some experince doing this kinda of thing, and it can easily be messed up if not done correctly.(Not to say I do it correctly, my way happens to work) I only do this because I already have the tools to do so. I would say if you dont have the tools, get an arrow cutter. If you do, IMO practice on some old arrows first till you have it down good. Hope this helps you out! Good Luck
Smoky
Old 02-17-2003, 06:47 AM

striper, If you want to go the route of the tube cutter, which is what I do, you can get a good one with deburring tool and sized inserts from Cabela' s or Bass Pro. (Shaft Cut off Kit. $34.99) I think it works great.

Good luck
Old 02-17-2003, 07:15 AM

i myself have cut many aluminum arrows with a pipe cutter i borrow from my dad, never have destroyed a single arrow.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a tubeing cutter allso just remember to take it slow and use a countersink or deburing tool afterwards and it works great .
Old 02-17-2003, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, cut six today in the blizzard and only FUBARED one. Kind of funny first with a little to much pressure I split the arrow with the countersink than I melted it wirh thew propane Map gas. anyway 5 for 6 is OK. Thanks again

I guess a few feet of snow for you north westers is no big deal but here it is a big deal. a foot on the ground and a foot to go. by the way I have an 800 foot driveway and thats a lot of gnow to move.

Thanks for the help One Shot One Kill Striper Phil
Old 02-17-2003, 07:19 PM

I used a fine hacksaw for a while, and that works fine, you need to file a little also.

For years now, I have been using a cut-off wheel. If you have access to a tablesaw, or a vairety of things from grinders to routers, you can mount cut-off wheels, and do everything including al carbon. If you run the piece through realy slowly, you can use a standard carbide bit also, but the fiber blade is the way to go.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:15 AM

I used to use a tubing cutter before I purchased a saw. I shot 2312' s and used a 2117 slid inside the 2312 to work as a mandrel to stiffen it up when I cut it. Never had any problems.