Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Best distance for Bare Shafting? >

Best distance for Bare Shafting?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best distance for Bare Shafting?

Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best distance for Bare Shafting?

What is the best distance or is it a combo of ditsances? Also those of you that use carbon arrows w/ pressure fit nocks do you cut from the back end of the arrow to make adjustments to spine or do you make the change in you DW?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best distance for Bare Shafting?

If I were to use just one distance I would go out to 20 yds. Normally I will start around 10 and go out to 40 but I have just stopped at 20 and went on to other tuning. I start at 10, just in case my calculations were off, I don't want the bareshaft missing the target completely.

I try and set the arrows up for the mid DW of my bow and then I adjust the DW. If I do need to cut down the arrow I will cut from the back end. With that said when I cut the arrow initially I will spin it and cut the end that is most out of whack or, if the shaft is straight, cut a little from each end,to get it to my "start" length.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:27 AM

You want to start close for starters then gradually work your way back. Things can get dicey quick sometimes. I would have to be pretty confident about my set up to start at 20 right off that bat. Unless I had a large target and/or didn't care about wasting arrows.

And if you are going to try it beyond 30 yards remember that it will be normal for the bare arrow to hit a bit lower than the fletched arrow. At least this is what I have found anyway.

And don't expect them to fly perfect either, the fletching is there for a reason. Without it don't expect them to look right in the air or the target. The goal is that they impact with each other. It won't take much to get an unfletched arrow a bit crazy in the air, but no worries, that is what the fletching is there to correct.

I would also add that in order to bare shaft tune much beyond 20 yards you would have to be a pretty decent shot with very consistent form. Otherwise you will just drive yourself crazy.

Paul
Old 03-20-2008, 10:58 AM

The smaller the target the closer you start. Since I'm shooting at a bag target I'll start at no more than 5 yards and work back from there.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Makes sense you would want to start at a close distance. If you want to shoot the max DW you can get out of your bow would you cut from the back of the shaft? Bruce that is a good idea of cutting both ends of the arrow to start just to make sure they are both good and square, kinda like a 2x4!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 01:58 PM
bigcountry

I start at 10, then move in 10 yard increments back to 40 max. Even a good combo can have trouble at 40. Any form issues will definately show up at 40. After that, move on to group tuning.