Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fall away vs. whisker biscuit >

Fall away vs. whisker biscuit

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fall away vs. whisker biscuit

Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 PM

Default Fall away vs. whisker biscuit

I am experimenting with diffrent setups and bells and whistles on my bow. I have run into different opinions on what I shoot, the wb and what my old school, lifelong uncle uses, a fall away. He says there is no way that the wb doesnt slow the arrow down. I am writing this because I read an earlier post about a modified wb with the bristles cut away where the fletchlings pass through. I am in no way an expert archer but I can toss out great groups with my wb from 20 to 50 yds. Will I achieve any better accuracy by changing or do I stick with what I got?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fall away vs. whisker biscuit

That depends on how good a shot you are. A WB is not a precision archery rest. Is it good enough for hunting, absolutely. Is it good enough for club/local level 3D shoots, absolutely. But, its sort of like driving an automatic transmission race car.... you can only make it do so much. That said, 90 or maybe even 95% of the archery world can't shoot good enough to tell the difference. I'd say its about the difference between a quarter and a dime..... but it is there.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Spike

I just put a ultra rest on my bow and it made a difference in my shooting. I had a tm hunter rest before. My buddy owns an archery shop. I asked him about whisker biscuit vs drop away. He said that the arrow only has contact with the drop away rest for the first 7 inches of the arrow. The full length of the arrow stays in contact with the wb. Any bow torque can cause accuracty problems with the wb. The drop away rest doesn't have contact with the arrow as long so bow torque doesnt have as much of an effect on accuracy.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

I am currently shooting a WB on my Hoyt Vulcan and to be quite honest with you I think I may switch to a drop away soon. I know if I have any hand torque I can be off in a shot and the WB seems to magnify this. However I really do like the ease of carrying a arrow knocked in the bow especially since I do a lot of psot and stalk hunting. The owner of my local bow shop had mentioned that he would lend me his old trohy taker drop away next time I come in and see if I like that drop away better. I used to shoot a Kodiak KO32 and it had the kodiak drop away system which is awesome exceptit does not have any containment device to help keep the arrow from falling off the rest.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, most results from the tests that I've seen - you generally only loose a couple of FPS using a WB....
Old 03-06-2008, 07:36 PM

I am new to this, but I just switched to a Limb Driver on Tuesday after using a wb for a month. Shot with it for about 3 hours today. I picked up only about 2 or 3 fps, but my grouping was much tighter and much more consistant. I also gained alot more confidence with the new rest.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I really think there are a lot of former WB users.. for a reason.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rev

LMAO, and you can add one to the list with that. Set up my limbdriver this week, I couldnt believe how silent the bow became on draw....Even on the shot seemed quieter. The shot could have been my imagination, but I know for a fact that the drop aways wrapped in felt are 100000000x quieter on the draw.

And easy to set-up too, I always viewed Drop-aways as some mythical beast that only the elite knew how to set up and tune....Heck it was just as easy as my WB.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: The Rev

LMAO, and you can add one to the list with that. Set up my limbdriver this week, I couldnt believe how silent the bow became on draw....Even on the shot seemed quieter. The shot could have been my imagination, but I know for a fact that the drop aways wrapped in felt are 100000000x quieter on the draw.

And easy to set-up too, I always viewed Drop-aways as some mythical beast that only the elite knew how to set up and tune....Heck it was just as easy as my WB.
Seeing is believing. I have tried to tell people that for years, but I got tired of banging my head against the wall. One reason they like the WB's is because they haven't used a real rest. I know from experience.Been there done that!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: khawkins

I read an earlier post about a modified wb with the bristles cut away where the fletchlings pass through. ... Will I achieve any better accuracy by changing or do I stick with what I got?
It occurs to me that a Bowtech Hostage rest is pretty much a "modified WB". I've read in this forum, and others, that a big % of the "Bowtech pros" are shooting with Limb Drivers rather than the Hostage.

There's probably a reason for that.

Quick Reply: Fall away vs. whisker biscuit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.