Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 making custom strings >

making custom strings

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

making custom strings

Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Default making custom strings

I'm looking to get into this. Can anyone give me a rough idea on how to start or where to find a good instructional video?

Also, can anyone take pictures of their string jig or any string jig and tell/show me roughly how one works?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: making custom strings

I don't know how good this is but you could give it a try.

http://www.bcyfibers.com/technical_s...er_Starter_kit[1].pdf
Old 02-25-2008, 11:15 AM

I made mine based off of this design with a few modifications (I turned my own pins and did away with teh collapsable feature.) http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/jig/NewJig.htm
If you're going to make more than a couple strings/cables a year I'd recommend just purchasing a jig. For the amount of time it takes to build one and the few gitches that you'll have to deal with when using it, you're just better off in the long run ponying up and buying one.

BCY makes an instructional DVD available from LancasterArchery.com that's a good starting point.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

Here is the one I bought and it is second to none. It is not cheap but with it I can make strings far better than I have ever been able to before.It also comes with a video how to use the jig and how to make strings. To me it is a good investment.http://www.bowstringjigs.com/
Old 02-26-2008, 07:04 AM
N2D

I just completed my first set last week. I have been trying to post a pic but having problems, will try again later today. The way I made mine was quite easy. I had a chunk of walnut cull lumber out back that I cut off about 6" long. It was a 1x4. Then I cut it down the middle so to have two thinner pieces. I took the origianl grips off my bow and traced the out line ontothe wood. Using a belt sander by turning itup side down, I simply began to sand and form it being careful not to get too close to the lines until I had the basic shape down. At that point I kept placing the new grip onto the notch in the riser, make a few marks, then sand some more a little at a time. Once I had it to where it would fit into the notch tightly, then I did the final sanding to form the top of the grip to my liking. The last part is to put whatever type finish you like. I used gun stock finish on mine.

Hope this helps.

Ed
Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 AM
N2D

Sorry I miss read the post, thought it said making your own grips.