Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Regular Axis vs. Axis FMJ >

Regular Axis vs. Axis FMJ

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Regular Axis vs. Axis FMJ

Old 02-19-2008, 12:07 PM

Default Regular Axis vs. Axis FMJ

We are having the first really nice day in almost 10 weeks today. Sunny. No wind. Upper 50's. Went to the outoor archery range at the State Park this morning and did some long range shooting. Have been shooting the Aixs FMJ's for about six weeks now, and did some comparison between them and the regular ST Axis -which weigh about 26 grains less. I know there are lots of charts out there that plot the trajectory of an arrow, but they don't seem to work out in the real world at the range - probably due to the fact that the sights are about 3.5" above the arrow - and the arrow is rising relative to the sights until maybe 18 yards or so.

I had already noticed, in the backyard, that the FMJ's hit about 3/4" below the ST Axis. Fairly insignificant. But at 40 yards, the two arrows group just over 4" apart. And at 50 it opens up to over 5". At 60 yards it is almost 7". These arrows group great. Even for an old hacker like me, I got a couple of 3" groups at 50 yards and a 4" at 60.

So if the sight was corrected so that both arrows were sighted in dead center at 20, the difference at 40 and 50 yards might be a little more than an inch. I haven't chronoed the FMJ's, but I'm guessing they are going about 8 or 9 fps slower than the 261 fps ST Axis. How many more months until archery elk season . . . .
Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Regular Axis vs. Axis FMJ

Interesting observations, I wouldn't think 25 grains would be that big of a difference. I love my FMJ arrows, getting new camo ones soon. They are definitely some tanks, but pack a serious wallop on critters. I also found them to be very accurate and durable. Also, congrats on the nice day! We are about 9 degrees and 25 mph wind.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot the FMJ's very much, but I do like the standard Axis. I've seen a lot of people with dented FMJ's, have you come across that at all Roskoe?

Do the new N-Fused Axis have anything to offer or is it just a sales kick?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:01 PM

So far no dents. But it's early . . . Haven't broken a regular Axis yet either.Planning to order some arrows tomorrow from Ellet Brothers. If they have some of the new N'Fused Axis I'm going to try a dozen. But these Axis FMJ's are intriguing. Should have stellar penetration - based on the small diameter, slippery shaft surface, and medium weight.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gonna have to try FMJ's. FMJ's coming out of a 101st with a rage 2 blade bh, should be devastatingon deer.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

When I first heard of the FMJ, I was concerned they would bend like normal aluminum arrows. Any comments about durability compared to the normal Axis?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot them when the first came out, loved them. Very durable and the weight is great for a hunting shaft. They will dent, but it takes a hell of a whack to do it. The whacks that made dents would have broked a carbon arrow, so either way, I think the arrow would be shot regardless of what kind it is. I am going back to the FMJ now because I just liked them better than my Maxima Hunters. The small diameter is great and they pack a serious wallop at my DL and 300 spine that is 12.0 grains per pound.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:13 PM

I shoot both arrows and I've had a couple FMJ,s take a very slight bend and wobble on the arrow spinner. I haven't seen the Axis do any of that but the biggobbler I shot during the '06 spring season broke my Axis arrow.

I'll probably stick with the axis and not worry about a FMJ bend when I get done with that dozen. Axis are cheaper also and the weight is close enough for me for hunting.