Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Verifying Lens Peeps. >

Verifying Lens Peeps.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Verifying Lens Peeps.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Verifying Lens Peeps.

This year, getting back into 3D and off to a great but semi rough start I'm wondering about verifying lens'.

I'm realizing my eyes are not what they once were. I have fixed pins, Viper Predator Pro with small pins. They size are not the issue however, they are semi blurring. My 40 yard pin is a red .010 pin but it halos and elongates. It's too bright and I find myself using a wrap and hood to dull them down. I still need to clear them up and I understand a verifying lens will do this.

I'm very familiar with clearifying lenses as I use them with my scopes.

Does a verifying lens shrink the targets or is everything normal except the lens will clear up the pins?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Verifying Lens Peeps.

I use the verifier lens and it works great . It clears up the pins and still leaves the target clear. Without them I would have had to switch to a scope by now because I couldnt see my pins anymore. Also the target stays the same size.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob,

I guess you are familar with Specialty peeps. Does your Clarifier fit in one of these? Reason I ask is that the Verifier lens does, too.

Just like Clarifiers there are several different diopters. You need to try the dfferent ones to see which would be best for you. They work pretty well, but if you get one too strong then it clears the pins but blurs the target. There's really a fine line between no lens and too much diopter.

The largest lens size is 1/8" for the Superball peep.3/16 lens in the Super Hunter model. Probably one of the best places to find specs on them is Specialty Archery or www.lancasterarchery.com.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could never use a clarifier because it would clear the target through a scope but would blurr the pin.

You might try to cover the fiber to dull them down a bit.

I just bought the sword with .010 green and orange pins and the green really gathers light and wants to halo a bit but the orange is perfect.

I used to use green exclusively and I believe the new pins are just brighter than what they used to make.

RED,was always completely out of the equation for targets.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: archer 2

I use the verifier lens and it works great . It clears up the pins and still leaves the target clear. Without them I would have had to switch to a scope by now because I couldnt see my pins anymore. Also the target stays the same size.
Thank you, this is what I'm looking for.

Rob,

I guess you are familar with Specialty peeps. Does your Clarifier fit in one of these? Reason I ask is that the Verifier lens does, too.
Yes, I have the Super Peep on my Ally. I also have a Clarifier as I am aware the Verifier lens fits it. I won't need to buy the peep, just the apature lens.

Just like Clarifiers there are several different diopters. You need to try the dfferent ones to see which would be best for you. They work pretty well, but if you get one too strong then it clears the pins but blurs the target. There's really a fine line between no lens and too much diopter.
This is good information,

Do you think I should just start with the lightest/least one? I'm not that bad but am realizing I may need a little help.

The largest lens size is 1/8" for the Superball peep.3/16 lens in the Super Hunter model. Probably one of the best places to find specs on them is Specialty Archery or www.lancasterarchery.com.
Agreed, I was just looking through their catalog and saw them which prompted a thread. I look for more information from you if you'd be so kind. Thank you.

I could never use a clarifier because it would clear the target through a scope but would blurr the pin.
I had no issue with a clarifier, with my Boss Scope, (fiber in the lens) it was perfect.

You might try to cover the fiber to dull them down a bit.
Yup, you must have missed that part of my post, I'm doing this now with a wrap and a hood.

I just bought the sword with .010 green and orange pins and the green really gathers light and wants to halo a bit but the orange is perfect.

I used to use green exclusively and I believe the new pins are just brighter than what they used to make.
I agree totally. For hunting, they are pefect, for target, need even smaller, clearer pins/target/sight window.

And I agree, red is out. I'm going to change the fiber.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, it would be best if you have a shop that carries Verifiers so you could try them. Probably, if you're just getting to the point of using bifocals you could use the #5 (purple), but a test run is best. When I got mine back a few years ago they didn't have the #5. I tried a #7 and it cleared the pins, but the target got real fuzzy at 20 yards (indoor at Lancaster). I tried the #6 and it was much better, but I still don't use it for hunting because of the lack of light passing through the lens (lenses do that). Now that they have a #5 I might give that a try one of these days as I think it would be the better choice for me---for the record my bifocals are a +2.00.

Taking note that the Hunter Peep System is plastic and not aluminum. It has a tube aligner, which I deplore so I just cut off the nipple the tube attaches to. It's a pretty good size peep and there are Verifiers made to fit it with either a 3/16 lens or 1/4". I can't be sure. Of course you can use one of the apertures that come with it and screw a regular 1/8" Verifier into this. Me? I want the bigger hole.

I gotta look at what I have and where it's at. MAybe we could work something out. You know. Pa. guy to Pa. guy.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Barry,

I haven't had my eyes checked and I should. I know that distance wise I can see perfectly but my pins are starting to become another story. I think this will offer me a solution. I don't need glasses or anything to read yet or anything like that but I'm just noticing a difference in my pins.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Rob, if you dont need reading glasses yet then , get the lowest power verifier. Without glasses I cant read but the lowest number one still clears up the pins for me.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you, I believe that is where I'll start. I'm hoping I can find a spot or place to try a few as they are not cheap at $20some a pop for just the verifier.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Thank you, I believe that is where I'll start. I'm hoping I can find a spot or place to try a few as they are not cheap at $20some a pop for just the verifier.
That's what you get for living way up there in the middle of nowhere. Not to highjack, but do you ever get up to the Bowfestival in Forksville? I work a booth there almost every year. Right inside the big tan metal building, middle aisle.

Quick Reply: Verifying Lens Peeps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.