Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 correct me if im wrong! >

correct me if im wrong!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

correct me if im wrong!

Old 02-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default correct me if im wrong!

when u draw your bow the "v" in the string when its a full draw should that be at the corner of your mouth or is that was to short of draw length?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 AM

Default RE: correct me if im wrong!

No, the bottom of the "V" has your arrow in it. You do not want that in the corner of your mouth. You want the bottom of the "V" to be more towards your chin/jaw line.

Think of it this way. You have seen kisser buttons correct? The kisser button is typically a few inches above your nock point. The kisser is the point that should be in the corner of your mouth.

Best of Luck!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

The corner of the string should be back to approx. corner of your eye, but down below the lip line

Dan
Old 02-09-2008, 11:32 AM

Depends on how you anchor, the ATA of your bow and your draw length.

Normally with modern compound using a release though anchoring the arrow to the corner of your mouth would be a pretty high anchor.

I like to have my string touch the tip of my nose and have the string lay across the corner of my mouth with the fletching of the arrow touching the space between my lip and chin or in that area, depends on the set up.

Here is a pic of me at full draw with my bowtech mighty might. I think it has 31 inches of ATA and 26 inches of draw length (I'm a little dude).

I'm not posting this as a how to on form or stating that I have perfect form, just giving you an idea of what I am talking about.

Paul
Old 02-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Paul, I think your form...........................................

j/king

Dan
Old 02-09-2008, 12:24 PM

I wish my shoulder was down a bit more in that picture, but other than that I am pretty happy with my form. Works for me anyway, it's come a long way since my first bow that was about an inch or too long for me.

Paul
Old 02-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I wish my shoulder was down a bit more in that picture, but other than that I am pretty happy with my form. Works for me anyway, it's come a long way since my first bow that was about an inch or too long for me.

Paul
Paul, honestly I think there is a basic form that needs to be followed, but too many times guys try to put everyone in the same mold. I think the main thing is to find a form that you are comfortable with and something that is repeatable for YOU. I'm not out to compete with Dave cousins, etc., etc. I just want to shoot good groups at my hunting ranges and be able to do it in a variety of postions and situations

Dan
Old 02-09-2008, 02:43 PM

I am 100% in agreement with you on that one. I like to tell people that ask for form advice that I can tell you what is generally accepted and what works for me, but in the end no two people shoot the same. What most will show is something that is easy to repeat and comfortable for most, but it's not set in stone.

Like you said the most important thing is that you can repeat it shot after shot, that's it. I have a few different ways I shoot or can set a bow up, they are all pretty accurate as long as I remember to do it the same way every time. For instance I used to draw to the side of my nose vrs to the tip. I still shot pretty darn well that way. I went to the tip of my nose when I started playing around with shooting without a peep sight.

Paul
Old 02-09-2008, 04:16 PM

I was always taught that your anchor point should be inthe same place every time to get consistancy and good groups, the pro at my shop help me find an anchor point I was comfortable with and I put it there every time. Basically my thumb knuckle rests behind my jaw bone, works good for me.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:58 AM

That's a pretty commone one. I use my index finger knuckle in the back of my jaw bone when using a wrist release.

And when I use a hand held release I slide my pinky up under my ear.

Paul