Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What's wrong with shoot through rests? >

What's wrong with shoot through rests?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What's wrong with shoot through rests?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:03 PM

Default What's wrong with shoot through rests?

Like the Quicktune 1000/3000 or the Bodoodle? One thing right of the bat I noticed with full containment rests like the WB or fallaways is their lack of "tunability". I don't think I've ever spent so much time tuning than I have than when I started using fallaway rests. I'm truly thinking about returning to a prong style shoot thru rest. I've never had issues with those "old style" rests.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's wrong with shoot through rests?

When using a fallaway,the spine does become a little more crucial for good tears in paper.

The prong rest are more forgiving without a doubt,if you like the Bodoodle or a standard prong rest and can get fletching clearance with helicals,I say go for it.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

When using a fallaway,the spine does become a little more crucial for good tears in paper.

The prong rest are more forgiving without a doubt,if you like the Bodoodle or a standard prong rest and can get fletching clearance with helicals,I say go for it.
I had no problems getting clearance out of prong rests. That's what foot powder's for But I did not know about the spine issue, thanks for the info. I learned something today.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

I had no problems getting clearance out of prong rests. That's what foot powder's for But I did not know about the spine issue, thanks for the info. I learned something today.
I wouldn't exactly call it an issue but when a fallaway drops away,especially if it drops too early,there is no giudance and the arrows spine just has to be that much better to get a "perfect" tear.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

I wouldn't exactly call it an issue but when a fallaway drops away,especially if it drops too early,there is no giudance and the arrows spine just has to be that much better to get a "perfect" tear.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification
Old 02-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing is technically "wrong" with them but......

#1. With a prong rest you must use straight or very slightly offset fletchings. You can not use a full helical fletch and expect not to get fletching contact. i use full helical feathers.
#2. A prong rest is prone to the arrow falling off the rest when drawing the bow.To me this is unacceptable in a hunting situation. Sure it is fine on the range butI do not want to have to take my finger and put the arrow back on the rest when I am at full draw and a deer is standing there in front of me.
#3. You are always having to replace felt, teflon tubes, or some other type of prong silencing material as it wears out. And as the teflon tubes wear out they also wear down and this changes your nock high position and can change your tune slightly.

I haven't found that I spend any more time tuning a fall away rest than I do any other rest.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

The new teflon covers last,I don't notice any wear on them when I have shot them,I do agree with the falling off the rest but I doubt that would be an issue with a Bodoodle.But there again,fletching clearance for helicals.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Nothing is technically "wrong" with them but......

#1. With a prong rest you must use straight or very slightly offset fletchings. You can not use a full helical fletch and expect not to get fletching contact. i use full helical feathers.
#2. A prong rest is prone to the arrow falling off the rest when drawing the bow.To me this is unacceptable in a hunting situation. Sure it is fine on the range butI do not want to have to take my finger and put the arrow back on the rest when I am at full draw and a deer is standing there in front of me.
#3. You are always having to replace felt, teflon tubes, or some other type of prong silencing material as it wears out. And as the teflon tubes wear out they also wear down and this changes your nock high position and can change your tune slightly.

I haven't found that I spend any more time tuning a fall away rest than I do any other rest.
Thanks for your input, Bigbulls. #1 no arguement there, that's simply a statement of fact. #2 The only time I had an arrow come off the prongs while on the draw is when I was first learning to shoot a compound. Of course I was drawing too much weight. I cranked down the weight, my draw became smoother, and the arrow remained on the prongs. Sometimes I wonder if people swear by full containment rests because it hides shooting flaws like drawing back too much weight. But, again you're right about the increased potential of the arrow falling off of the prongs in a hunting situation. #3 I put moleskin on the launcher of my drop away and it does get changed frequently.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

My fallaway just flat wore out on me during the season this year and I pulled out my old trusty Golden Premier prong rest and I was able to use 3" helical feathers but the first time I picked the bow up in my stand,I tilted the bow over and the arrow fell off my rest making more noise than I would have liked. I had used a full containment fallaway for so long I could turn the bow upside down without fear of the arrow falling off and I just forgot I have to be carefull not to knock the arrow off the rest.

My point is,that it can be an issue,even if you are not overbowed.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 PM

O.K. I'm starting to get the whole picture now. I can be slow, so bear with me. So far the only downfall I'm seeing with the fallaway rest is that the arrow spine becomes a bit more a factor. I still took more time fiddling with my fallaways to achieve good flight and tears. However, my last prong rest (quicktune 3000) had micrometer adjustments. I kept overadjusting my fallaways. The adjustments would always travel twice as far as I intended no matter how slightly I would move them.[:@]
So really, from a purely hunting standpoint, a fallaway is "better" because 1. less chance of an arrow falling off the rest. and 2. allows for helical fletch. I get it

Quick Reply: What's wrong with shoot through rests?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.