Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What's wrong with shoot through rests? >

What's wrong with shoot through rests?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What's wrong with shoot through rests?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:36 PM

Default RE: What's wrong with shoot through rests?

i like the WB, i thought it was easy to tune. But im switching to the hostage pro for full fletching clearence and it is full containment.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:25 AM

Arthur P and Doegirl ,
I should have bein a little more careful I guess bein honest about my hunting methods. I guess I took for granted everyone has heard its not the best idea to walk around with a nocked arrow. Its was late the other night , I have a cold , I was just trying to give a quick response..
As far as nocked arrows while hunting goes this has bein my expierience . Unless I have a really good feeling or reason that theresgame really close by my arrows will always stay in their quiver. But here in the islands we hunt pigs. Very wild , weary pigs. Guys run thier dogs on the same lands we bowhunt. Were always walking , never in tree's .So , in reality its rare to see a pig , stop , pull out an arrow draw and shoot.It just is rare to be that lucky. Thats why I like the W.B. rest. If I know a pig may jump up ( grass is usually 2 feet tall or more ) , which they do , Im readyto draw and release . To many have left us high and dry.
ArthurP , great point, very good to point outand remind us all of fundamentals. Thank you .
Old 02-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never hurts to review the basics, does it paka.

Unless I have a really good feeling or reason that theresgame really close by my arrows will always stay in their quiver.
You hear or smell the animals, or you're in a specificspot that you know is hot;you know they're right there and you'reputting on the sneak, in stalk mode, taking great care to avoid every twig and stoneunder your feet... That's entirely different than travelling from point A to point B in the woods with a nocked arrow, hoping something will turn up to shoot at.

This is something that hit really close to home for me some years back and it's why I'm sucha jerkabout it. A very good friend of mine almost bled to death on a huntbefore they could get him to a hospital. He was walking along a cow trailwith a nocked arrow on his bow, brain in'tiptoeing through the daisies' mode as he put it. He tripped over a root and somehow the broadhead wound up going through his thigh and cut his femoral artery. If he'd been alone that day, he wouldn't have made it.

It's like seat belts and motorcycle helmets. You'll almost never really need them, but that one time you do need them... Basic safety rules and equipment will save your life, or keep you from putting yourself in danger in the first place.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Thanks ArthurP for sharring and reminding us all ( or maybe jus me) about bow hunting basics and sharring that story of your friend. Never really heard about a real accident but your friend**** a nerve in me and will make me a little more aware in the future.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Imo, if the bow will be used for hunting a WB is the way to go. You can have the best technique in the world but while hunting if something can go wrong it usually does. We wear camo from head to toe, use blinds, tree stands, doe in heat lure, cover scent, special shampoos and soap, etc.. It just seams to me that a whisker biscuit is the logical choice.