Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow length

Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Default Arrow length

Ok guys, I'm fairly new to the boards but I've been snooping around a bit. I got bit of a problem. I got some new arrows today and I had them cut at 29inches because my draw length is at 29inches. Well, needless to say that my arrow is too short. How many extra inches do you guys usually tack on to your arrow when getting them cut? Last time I bought arrows was about 4 or 5 years ago and I knew back then, but time has taken a toll on my memory. Just a stupid honest mistake on my part. Thanks guys.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:19 PM

Default RE: Arrow length

What sort of a rest are you using? With many arrow rests, that sit at or behind the riser, the arrow can be as much as 2" shorter than your actual draw length. But if that is not the case, it sounds like you have some good arrows 4 sale cheap.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:35 PM

My draw is 29" and my arrows are cut to 28"
Old 02-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

What kind of arrows are they?
Old 02-03-2008, 05:35 AM

Beman Team Realtree arrows are what I am trying right now. They seem to be a little heavier which is what I like for hunting.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:17 AM

What do you mean by too long? Do they draw past the rest and fall out, or do they just not stick out past the riser? A proper length arrow for a modern compound is not supposed to stick out past the riser. The tip should be over the shelf towards the front edge of the bow.

If you can draw your bow back and the arrow comes back so far it fall out of the rest something is wrong. With a 29 inch draw length and 29 inch arrows your arrows should actually be a tad long, not short. If your set up is what you say it is the end of your arrow should line up with the front edge of the riser or extend past it. NOT come back far enough to fall out of the rest, any rest unless it is set up wrong.

I would suggest verifying the actual arrow length and your actual draw length. I think one might be off.

With a properly set up prong rest your arrow would have to be near 2 inches shorter than your draw length, and with some of the newer type drop away rests and the WB rests it could actually be shorter because they mount behind the shelf, not over it.

Paul
Old 02-03-2008, 07:10 AM

Thanks for all the help guys, I found out what I did wrong. I've had the normal prong rests in the past so I'm really new to the whisker biscuit, which is the one I have now. Well, turns out I put the WB on in front of the riser rather than behind it. And my arrows are Easton carbons.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

So you're gonna keep them.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:35 AM

Well, that would do it. Glad you got it figured out.

Paul