Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Draw Length & Arrow Length >

Draw Length & Arrow Length

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw Length & Arrow Length

Old 05-28-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Draw Length & Arrow Length

Hello Everyone!! Couple Questions For You All!

1) Is draw length measured to the bowstring or to the end of a string loop if you use one?

2) I am getting cx hunter maxima arrows! I have a 26 inch draw length, and shoot a hoyt powertec with a 60# dw! Do I get the 250 or 350? And what length should they be? Would 28 inches be good?

THANK YOU ALL, AGAIN, VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich
Old 05-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Draw Length & Arrow Length

Draw your bow back and have someone measure from 3/4" tp 1.5" out from where your rest makes contact with the arrow. Use a broadhead to make sure it doesn't contact the riser.

I use a 28.25" arrow with my 30" draw. These arrows were cut for a WB. However, I can cut another inch off for my QAD. So, there's no written rule on length except for making sure the arrow doesn't draw too far back and the tip touches the rest.

Plus, draw length is usually measured by adding 1.75" to where your hand touches the grip + distance to nock at full draw.

The 350's would betoo stiff for your set-up. Go with the 250's. Though the 250's start to get stiff for any arrow shorter than 26.5" long w/ a 100 tip. If you go to a 125 gr tip you can go shorter.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:24 AM

1)Drawlength is measured at full draw from the throat of the arrow nock to 1.75" past the deepest part of the bow grip.

2)Arrow length should be the length that gives you the best dynamic spine. You find this by bareshaft testing. Start the test with an extra long arrow and trim until it flys correctly. Then build the rest of them.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

What I have found normally works well is take your draw legnth and subtract 2 inches. So if your dl is 30 inches cut your arrows to 28 inches and so forth. Thast what I was taught from an old friend who owned a pro shop all of his life.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:26 AM

Its 3/4 of an ich less than our AMO draw length for your proper arrow length. If you are cutting 2 inches off you better be using some sort of an overdraw type rest or your arrow will fall off when you draw it.

Paul
Old 06-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

What I have found normally works well is take your draw legnth and subtract 2 inches. So if your dl is 30 inches cut your arrows to 28 inches and so forth. Thast what I was taught from an old friend who owned a pro shop all of his life.
That can be very risky if you're shooting broadheads, and I'd recommend against it.

If that arrow falls off the rest somehow (and it does happen), the shooter has NO WAY of getting it back into position with their shooting hand since the tip will have fallen behind where your fingers can reach! It is a recipe for some potential serious injury.

With today's lighter arrows (if desired)and more efficient bows, there's no reason why you need to be cutting arrows that much shorter than your drawlength in my opinion.

And to the original poster, the d-loop is not factored into your draw length. Only what the bowstring is drawn to. For AMO drawlength, add 1.75" to the true draw measurement.