Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 cables and string mixed materials? >

cables and string mixed materials?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cables and string mixed materials?

Old 01-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default cables and string mixed materials?

does anyone ever use 2 different materials,one for cables and one for the string?if a guy was looking for a little more speed and less creep could i use 452x for cables and 8125 for the string? i hear that the 452x has NO creep but if the 8125 material is pre-stretch before putting on the bow will it still creep some? and does it matter on the lenght of the string my bow is a one cam and has a 90in string and 35in cables or should i just go with all 452x material on both.
thank you
Old 01-23-2008, 11:48 AM

Default RE: cables and string mixed materials?

I could picture doing it on a 2 cam with little difficulty but I wouldn't do it on a single cam because the string serves the dual purpose of also being one of the cables. I did it with a string of UltraCam and cable of Fast Flight (because I was being a tightwad and Fast Flight is way cheaper than UltraCam) but I ended up having all kinds of tuning issues with that bow that were solved when I remade the string and cable both from UltraCam. The problem may have been a shoddy string though since it was my first and I had learned a considerable amount about string making by the time I redid it.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

thanks Kodiak for the reply,my bowwas shipped todayfor new string and cables and i was just wondering what material to tell jason at wolfdenbowstrings that i wanted to go with.i think i am going with 452x all the way.my choices of material are 452x,8125,and brownell's TS plus.i would love a little more speed like most of us do but maybe the 452x will still give me some replacing the stock strings.Kodiak the bow did come new with 2 different materials 450+ for the cables and dynaflite 97 for the string!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:30 PM

I got some custom strings and cables made by Wolfden this past summer, and I got my cables made out of 8125 and my string out of 452X and I couldn't be happier, within 10 shots everything was settled and ready to go and has not moved since.