Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 I am shocked! Bowtech staff >

I am shocked! Bowtech staff

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I am shocked! Bowtech staff

Old 11-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default I am shocked! Bowtech staff

I went to sportmens warehouse yesterday to shoot some of the new bow's and was shocked at how much difference in fps there was between an IBO arrow and my hunting arrows.

I currently am shooting a martin firecat (that is old enough to vote and buy snuff) with 60 lb limbs at 29 in. With my goldtip 5575's w/ feathers, it will shoot 262 fps. My chrono outside and indoor at archery range. With my 430 gr carbon express term lite w/ vanes, it will shoot 254 fps. Not good, not bad, just OK. Works fine for deer hunting. I have to use 1st pin for 0-20, 3rd pin for 30 and usually split the diff when hunting and use my 2nd. It's a little high at 20 and low at 30, but works out ok on deer.

I have been wanting a new bow for a year or two, decided to go shoot yesterday. Not sure on all of the draw lengths and I know they can be tuned, but here are initial results from indoor chrono.

Bow My 430 gr cx stores IBO arrow
Alligence 60lb 258 fps 272
Guardian 70lb 276 311
Vital Impact 70 lb 257
Commander 70 lb 258
General 70 lb250
Ross 337 70 lb 248
Marquis 70 lb 278 302

The General was the smoothest bow I have ever shot. The Commander was the most comfortable to me (I am use to that 42 in martin). I like the valley at the back of the draw in the ross 337 ( again what I am use to).

I know my arrows are on the heavy side of average, but a lighter arrow would also make my bow shoot faster. As of right now, I am sticking with my martin. I can't justify spending $700 to gain 5-15 fps.

Anybody have any comments or similar experience.

I think martin must of been on the right track in the late 80's and early 90's.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I am shocked!

Getting the speeds you are at the draw weight and draw length you're using, you're getting phenomenal performance from that Firecat. If you want more arrow speed, spend the $700. I don't think the Firecat can take a steady diet of arrows that are much lighter than what you're using now, so you'd be spending the money eventually, anyway.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I am shocked!

Jump in here Bowtech staff. What weight arrows are you hunting with? How fast are your hunting rigs shooting? I'd like to buy a bowtech, but I need some convincing.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I am shocked! Bowtech staff

To Bowtech staff,
If this is the case why when you go get a new bowtech are they not tuned to shoot faster. All dealers say they can tweek them into shooting faster. That makes no sense. What are they tweeking?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can tweak all bows to shoot faster. That doesn't mean that you should.

My guardian at 30 inches and 71 pounds will shoot a 490 grain axis at 270 fps.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:41 PM

One of my buddies has an old Hoyt from about that same era and it is just about as fast as my new Hoyts - using the same arrow at the same draw weight/length. Not quite a smooth and refined - louder, but just as fast and it seems very accurate as well.

These speed you are getting are pretty comparable with what I'm getting with 61 lbs. of draw weight and 29".
Old 11-15-2007, 04:05 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: okgobbler

I think martin must of been on the right track in the late 80's and early 90's.
I went from a 99PSE Mohave to a 04 bowtech liberty. I actually lost speed. But I didn't buy teh liberty for increase in speed. I bought it for 80% letoff, and lack of shock due to parrellel limbs. I now have went to a bowtech liberty, and shoot 275fps with a 440gr arrow. My PSE shoots it 268, and my liberty shoots it 256fps. All set to 70fps. If you think you are gaining something, by getting a new bow, think again.

Only reason I got the commander is after I shot it, all I could say is "WOW". no shock, no noise.

My hunting buddy Joe, is right now aggonizing over buying a new bow. I keep warning him, don't expect miriacles with speed out of a new bow. But he keeps reading IBO numbers, and obsessing over it.

Martin wasn't doing anything more right or wrong with thier bows, but thier design can create alot of speed with limbs producing some of teh speed, where the parrellel bows, the cams are doing most of the work. there is no free lunch. You have to give up somethign to get something.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jump in here Bowtech staff. What weight arrows are you hunting with? How fast are your hunting rigs shooting? I'd like to buy a bowtech, but I need some convincing.
I am currently hunting with arrows that weigh about the same as what you are shooting...430-440 grains including point.

Two, I do not know in truth. I never chronoed any of last year's bows nor have I yet tried with any of the new models I have just received. However, that situation is about to be remedied. I am in the process of putting a little piece together on a few models. It is going to be comparative in nature and part of that comparison is going to be their actual speeds with my typical hunting setup.

I cannot make any promises but I hope to have it finished some time in the next week....as time, the wife..and the kids allow.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:28 PM

I think it all goes back to a few simple rules of bows:

1) shoot what you like and are comfortable with fast is fine accuracy is final (Wyatt Earp)

2) Buy what you can comfortably afford. nothing is fun if it breaks the bank for you.

3) the $299.00 dollar bow package at the low end of the sales rack will kill the same deer with a well placed arrow as the all new decked our top of the line latest greates auto cam, no shock, no sound, you must buy or you will never kill another deer in your life bow.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

My hunting arrows are 440grs right on the nose andwith 29.5" draw modules installed my General was shooting 269fps with every shot.

That General number looks low but it does depend on what is on the string and I'm sure they were 29" mods so knock 5fps off there.It's also not a "Speed" bow with an 8+" brace height .
Guardian looks good......that's at 29" too so a 30" mod will get you around 322fps. (nothing to sneeze at)
The General number looks a bit low to me based upon my personal bow.

Quick Reply: I am shocked! Bowtech staff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.