Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Been Testing Some New Broad Heads >

Been Testing Some New Broad Heads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Been Testing Some New Broad Heads

Old 11-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Been Testing Some New Broad Heads

Not many would have heard of Outback Broad Heads they are a 2 blade head that are made in Australia and are the premier head made over there.

I ordered 12 Supremes Single Bevel and 12 Hunter XL total cost including shipping for the 24 heads was $77.60. Delivery time was 10 days which for coming by post 1/2 way around the world is great we all know what the post office is like

The first thing you will notice is there is no fancy packaging with these heads so it helps to keep cost down secondly because there is no packaging the heads do need to be sharpened but a couple of minutes on a Arkansas stone gets the heads razor sharp.

Ok the Supremes are a 3 in 1 head meaning they are 3" long with a 1" cutting diameter but the cool thing about these heads is the back of the blades are 3/4" over the shaft as can be seen in the following picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/Ausie-guy/General%20Archery%20Stuff/DCP_2848.jpg?

The Hunter XL are a 1 1/2" cut vented 2 blade head.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/Ausie-guy/General%20Archery%20Stuff/DCP_2849.jpg?t=1194194514

The blade thickness is .043 and they have a toughness of Rockwall 51.
Once I sharpened the heads up it was time to try them out,the bow I used was my Black Ice 59lb, 28" draw.
The arrows are Bman ICS Hunters 400 spine cut to 28" that is the shaft lenght not from the groove in the nock. All arrow shafts had equal amounts cut from both ends with 3 2" Duravane Predators.
Seeing I am a believer in Extreme FOC and these heads are 125gr the standard inserts where not used but as you can see in the photos I have used 100gr Brass inserts to keep my FOC up at 24.8%.

Onto shooting the first thing I done was to shoot 6 arrow groups with 125gr field points from 20,30,40 and 50 yards to make sure my sight was on.

Once I had done that it was time to put the heads to the test with the Supreme's first and let me tell you what these heads just flew like lazers and had the exact same POI as my field points at all yardages,by the time I got to the 50 yard mark I only had 3 arrows left with all 3 vanes still in tact, yes the groups where that tight that I was shaving the vanes off. After shooting the 3 arrow group at 50 yards I only had 2 arrows left with all 3 vanes still in tact the 50 yard group was about 3/4".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/Ausie-guy/General%20Archery%20Stuff/ATT00064.jpg?

I had to refletch my arrows so I could test the Hunter XL.
So yesteday we went back out with freshly fletched arrow to test the XL's.

These heads because they have such a big cut need more fletching than 2" Predators which I found out the hard way

I did have a couple of AC Super Slims with 4" fletches with me so I tried the heads with those completely forgeting that these arrows are a lot lighter than my Bemans and no where near the same FOC. The first shot at 40 yds with the AC SS I aimed dead center of the Yellow Jacket settled in and got the shot off the arrow flight was good not as great as the Supremes I picked up the arrow flight just as the arrow sailed over the Yellow Jacket and slam into my Outdoor Range Bag[:@]Now if anyone has ever tied to get a broad head out of one will know that the head is still in the bag[8D]I will have to cut it out next time I change the cover

So as for now I am not going to do anymore tests with the XL's untill I get some more Beman's made up with the 100gr brass insert and 4" vanes

But I will say that with all the shooting into the Yellow Jacket with the Supremes, they will still shave hair and dont need to be sharpened to hunt with. But I will stroop them on leather before I go on the Axis hunt in a couple of weeks and hopefully will have some pics of entry and exit wounds. Plus all you guys will be able to see the hunt on TV some time next year.

For more info on the heads or if you want to order some here is the web address for them.
http://users.ncable.net.au/~woody/introduction_page.htm

Also when you order you dont have to pay right away for them, they send the heads with a invoice and you pay the invoice by paypal when the heads arrive, now my friends that is a company that trusts people to do the right thing.

Edit to put pic links in as the original pics did not show[:@]
Old 11-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Been Testing Some New Broad Heads

Ausie they sound like very good heads and look like they are very tough as well! 51 Rockwell is a fairly hard metal do they sharpen fairly easy? I am always looking for another type of broahead to try!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: popeandyoungchaser

Ausie they sound like very good heads and look like they are very tough as well! 51 Rockwell is a fairly hard metal do they sharpen fairly easy? I am always looking for another type of broahead to try!
Yeah they are real easy to sharpen only a couple of minutes on the Arkansas stone and they shaved hair and they do keep the edge.

The Supremes have been shot a lot into the Yellow Jacket and will still shave hair so they keep the edge.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow it is a little pricey to get them over hear to the states though.[:@]Might have to wait till summer when i am working again, just can't be spending that kind of money when i am at school.[]AWWW... the life of a college student.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow it is a little pricey to get them over hear to the states though.
How do you figure that?

$77.60 shipped for 24 heads. I work that out to be $3.23 per head, I have yet to find another comparable head for that price.

The Muzzy Phantoms I have been using I get at cost plus tax and they work out at $7 per head now if I was to pay full retail for them it is closer to $10 a head.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well that makes it seem a little more afordable. Do you have to buy them in bulk like that? Well i am headed out for the afternoon whitetail hunt so i will reply when i get back. Later!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

On their web page min order for overseas is 12 heads.

At the moment the Aussie dollar is up so the exchange rate is not that good, if I had of ordered these a few months ago when the Aussie dollar was down the cost would have been around $1.50 to $2.00 per head and that included shipping.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

At 3.23 a head that would be 38.76 a head not much more than a 6-pack of my current choice, Muzzy's. Do you think they need an extreme front of center set-up or is that just your choice? I cant see why they would.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you think they need an extreme front of center set-up or is that just your choice?
No they dont need the extreme FOC I just prefer the FOC as high as I can get it while keeping the arrow spined right.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

The price seem's fine and the head look's like something I just might want to try in the future ,as for the FOC do you recommend the brass insert's ?

nubo

Quick Reply: Been Testing Some New Broad Heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.