Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Floating Arrows? >

Floating Arrows?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Floating Arrows?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Floating Arrows?

I read a thread recently that made reference to this. I believe it was in the tech forum here at HNI but i'm not for sure, i read alot. I think the idea of this is to find the stiffest side of the arrow and index your nocks so you are shooting each arrow the same. If this is correct how do you do it??
Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Floating Arrows?

I have tried it, it has to be done with no fletches or no insert or nock.

I find it more accurate to shoot thru paper and rotate 120degrees to find the stiff side.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do you know when you have found the stiff side?

Old 11-02-2007, 07:35 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: popeandyoungchaser

How do you know when you have found the stiff side?
If you see a nock left tear, you believe you have a weak spine if your sure your bow is in tune. If turn the arrow 120degrees and one side creates a good tear, and turn again and see a nock left tear, you usually will see another nock left tear on another 120 degree turn. If you get rid of the nock left tear on one side, you have found the heavy spined side.

If you rotate several arrows and they all create a nock left tear, move your rest towards the bow a tad. If you start seeing a nock right tear, you have reached the point of clearance issues. And most likely, the shaft is too weak for your bow.

Now on occassion,a fewarrows, I have found a nock left tear and turned and nock right tear, and maybe an ok side or sometimes a high tear or low tear. Usually I won't even use those for practice. Anymore I have been sending the back to the mfg. and making them replace them. And they have. I have to admit, carbon express has been good at making them right. Beman, argued with me, and it wasn't worth the hassle.

I won't put a broadhead on an arrow that doens't shoot bullet holes on all sides. But if the arrow is right for the bow, I find that 70% of the arrows should shoot well out of a dozen.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks bigcountry that clears it all up!