Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Breaking bad habits...need help >

Breaking bad habits...need help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Breaking bad habits...need help

Old 10-29-2007, 08:31 PM

Default RE: Breaking bad habits...need help

Gottcha man, thanks again for the advice.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

I suffer the same, except dropping the bow arm, which by the way, is another form of target panic. You're anticipating the shot, exactly what you need to get past. I'm going to post exactly what Rick James said for me to do, and it's working.

1. Write down your shot sequence. No exceptions......Write it and post it somewhere you will see it often. Mine goes; Feet square, hips square, shoulders square, head upright, bow arm up, bow shoulder down, anchor, set tension in back, aquire target, commit, aim finish.

2. 1 week straight-no exceptions- DON'T AIM AT ANYTHING.....blank bale only. For 20-30 shots focus on setting up each blank bale shot perfectly. Stand in front of the target, once you are sure you won't miss the target, close your eyes and focus on just executing the perfect shot.

3. 2nd week- start each session 10-15 blank bale shots. Then 10-15 perfect set ups followed by "soft" relaced aiming, focus on trusting your float and getting comfortable hanging out in the X ring. Once you build tension (probably 10-12 seconds at full draw) let down, recover and start over. If any one of those doesn't feel right, let down and start over.

4. Week 3-10 blank bale shots-10 aiming drills-15 arrows at a 5 spot from 10 yards.

5. Week 4- same as week 3.

Rick james has given some excellent advice here.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:21 PM

Well, went to the range before work today to try the aiming only thing. I draw my bow back with my finger BEHIND the trigger and actually align my pin with the target dot. Had it sitting there for a few seconds.Boy oh boy, I have it bad. My release arm sprang forward definitely implying that I anticipate the shot.

I want to try the blind bale thing once my schedule gets back on track.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 PM

OH yeah, you've got it....no doubt of that. Here's the deal...You actually need to reprogram your brain. That's where us guys that use caliper releases are at a disadvantage, we command the shot. But back tension isn't the most practical in a hunting situation.

Stick w/ the advice Rick James gave me, you'll be back on track in a month, shooting better than ever.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 PM

OH yeah, you've got it....no doubt of that. Here's the deal...You actually need to reprogram your brain. That's where us guys that use caliper releases are at a disadvantage, we command the shot. But back tension isn't the most practical in a hunting situation.

Stick w/ the advice Rick James gave me, you'll be back on track in a month, shooting better than ever.
Thanks man! I hope so.

I'm unsure of those back tension releases. I had a guy at my club trying to get me to shoot back tension with my caliper release...key word...TRYING.I know that its possible but I would like to assume that a true back tension is much easier to use than a caliper (as far as using your back muscles), am I correct?

I'll definitely take his (and your) advice and try to get me back on track.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Thanks man! I hope so.

I'm unsure of those back tension releases. I had a guy at my club trying to get me to shoot back tension with my caliper release...key word...TRYING.I know that its possible but I would like to assume that a true back tension is much easier to use than a caliper (as far as using your back muscles), am I correct?

I'll definitely take his (and your) advice and try to get me back on track.

Not exactly

You will almost need to get a true bt to learn what a good release feels like.

I found it easier to get a good clean btrelease with my Carter Fits Me too that was a trigger release but I had to keep practicing with the true bt to ensure I didn't let the bad habit of commanding the shot creep back in.

You need to practice shooting bt but there are times in hunting where a controlled command release is a must.All the shots in my form thread were command release shots,mainly due to some of the angles I was in and partly because my bt practice has been non existant lately and it is about time to get in the garage for some bt blank bale.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:57 AM

Yeah, I've not had much luck firing w/ back tension using a caliper release. There was a 3 finger Stan floating around these forums for a while (I haven't seen it lately, actually) that I used for a bit. I'll tell you that when I did it RIGHT.......It was really, really, really cool. When the bow fired, I jumped 3 feet.....But still hit the bullseye!! It was waaaayyyyy cool....

Until I punched myself in the eye......I was pretty much done after that....
Old 10-31-2007, 11:56 AM

Along with the blind bale shooting, we like to do what we call Buddy Blind Bale shooting or Flinch. Much like blind bale shooting, you draw and anchor. The only difference is that you visualize aiming at a target or animal while your eyes are closed. You then have your buddy set off your release, altering the amount of time between shots to keep it interesting. It is tough not to anticipate the release of the arrow. It helps us remember to concentrate on aiming, not punching the trigger. It is also pretty darn funny when you are the guy setting off the release. You would be amazed at how much you flinch and anticipate the shot. When you get to where you can do it correctly, you get a good clean break and release. It will really teach you what the properly executed shot should feel like.