Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
back tension release >

back tension release

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

back tension release

Old 01-19-2002, 09:18 AM

Default RE: back tension release

I can't name the number of times I have seen someone "claim" they shoot pure back tension with a index finger release not be able to shoot a real BT release without collapsing. This isn't to say that those here don't use BT, by that I don't always believe the claims.

Now it the release can be "touched off," the temptation to do so will come to most people. When I shoot my thumb release, if I draw and anchor and I am dead on the x, I am temped to jump on the thumb. My Zenith makes me do thing properly every time, as did my Stan.

If a BT release apparently make TP worse, that just means it was there in full the whole time, but wasn't being addressed.

Oh, and once you learn how to draw/shoot a BT release, you won't punch yourself.
Old 01-19-2002, 01:51 PM
Spike

Any release can be shot using back tension but if its got a trigger it is not a true back tension release. If you have a problem "punching" or have target panic,you have to get rid of the trigger. The release has to be a surprise so your conscious mind will go back to just aiming instead of trying to aim and control the release. Once you shoot the Stan youll be hooked.
Old 01-19-2002, 03:25 PM

Just on the semantic thing. I obviously agree that a release is only a pure back tension release if it doesn't have a trigger lever, etc... On the other hand when you shoot/release with backtension you are triggering basicaly all these releases the same way, you are changing the angles of the body to the release. The stan feels purer, because by the time you get one in your hand, if you are like most of us you have pulled thousands of triggers, you understand what that feels like, with the stan it isn't as clear at first, so you really get a surprise. But you can still "punch" a stan, by tipping your wrist, and you can set up on a thumb release with your thumb blocked against your index finger so that you would have to move stuff before you could punch the shot. A stan can also be set up with too much sear so that there isn't any way it will go off with BT, and you have to crank it. It is always a subtle thing, and in some ways even more interesting than the fingers release. What I have noticed in training people is that they won't really get what they are supposed to be doing with BT until they get a stan (and simmilar) in their hands, after that they really learn that BT isn't just something you do while smootly pulling the trigger.

On the mouth punching thing, just practice with some cord instead of a bow, at first, and you will get the sense of how to fire the thing off without endangering your teeth. When you draw back, your teeth should never be in line with your release anyway. If you can't draw the bow without endangering your face, it's too heavy for you.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:47 AM
Spike

Ossage
I agree with your point on being able to fire the Stan by tipping your hand purposely but it will be the ugliest miss you have ever seen. When I had target panic and went to the Stan it only took two of those huge misses do discourage me from ever doing it again. However with a trigger I could get away with punching it and not always have a bad result because just moving my trigger finger didnt upset my form as bad as having to move my whole hand or arm. There is more incentive to cure something you KNOW is going to produce a negative result than something you often get away with.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:28 PM

got the Stanislawdki today
Went out & shot with it wow!
mist it by 18"s from where i wanted to hit about 5 times . {Bonecollector} I see what you mean. then it started getting closer & closer about 20 shots later i was holding on target & hit 1" spot 1 arrow at a time.
Lot of practice ahead thou
It's agood feeling to put a arrow where you were aiming at, again.
thanks to all of you & this forum for a place to go & get good info from alot of differant people to help an indivual
good shooting & many thanks
Greg
Old 01-21-2002, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Greg
Glad things are coming together.
a couple things to remember are>> Don't set the Stan to fast you want it a little slow so you are pulling pretty hard to get it to dump(this also helps avoid eating the release).
If you are using the factory rope head on the Stan you may want to shorten the rope a little(most are very long).
The blank bale is the place to learn to shoot the Stan,IMHO groups would be the farthest thing from my mind,give the blank a try and get the feel for the release. By the way I also use the Mirage more than any of the others,it's very comfortable to me but I leave my pinky off of it.
Good Luck! You'll master it in time.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:29 PM

OHarcher
i did set it up abit, & i do have to pivot it to make it release, it makes me WAIT & hold on target. I don't use little finger or rope
? can I or is it ok to hold it vertical after draw back, then start to release.
after reading that back , i should be using back tension to have it release, should'nt I ? just a thought. will work on it tomorrow
Old 01-22-2002, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

The main thing with a B/T release is:Your drawlength needs to be dead on or just a shade short to get the full benefit of back tension.Even as much as a 1/4-1/2"long makes good B/T hard to acheive.
Your anchor with this type release is a personal thing (whatever feels comfortable to you)I've seen guys rotate them vertical,some keep them flat,others at around 45 degrees.
I personally draw with the relesae flat,as I get close to my anchor I get my elbow up and in-line with the shaft and rotate release to about 45 degrees then settle in and begin aiming.Once im on the spot I begin the push pull.Push meaning=Push with bow arm directly at the spot.Pull meaning=Pull with back muscles(imagine a wall about 4" behind your elbow)try to take your elbow straight back to touch the wall.
The surprise release is what your after,try not to think about rotating your hand to fire the release (If you think about rotating that may be a sure fire way to learn to punch the Stan and that's not what you want).Let the slight rotation come naturally and from your back muscles not your hand.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:38 AM

OHarcher has described things well. I would like to add (and some will argue this, but it is true) that you cannot properly execute the shot with your BACK muscles if you turn the release to vertical. I recommend staying somewhere between horizontal (or flat, as OH said) and 45°. This will allow you to use yout Rhomboids to set the release off.

I have also found that I seem to get the most consistent release by only using 2 fingers. This is a very personal thing though, but for me, I seem to tense up a bit more with 3 or 4 fingers invloved.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:06 PM

If you are shooting T-handle grips then a dead vertical position with the back of the hand against the face might be over-extended. However 70-80 deg is certainly possible, it seems as though that is the angle Randy Ulmer and Larry Weir are using in their video, with Stans etc...

Quick Reply: back tension release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.