Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bohning Jig.. left or right wing offset??? >

Bohning Jig.. left or right wing offset???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bohning Jig.. left or right wing offset???

Old 10-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Spike

Default Bohning Jig.. left or right wing offset???

hey guys, i got a new bohning fletching jig with the magnets to hold the offset jig in place(the red model) , but i have a few questions...

i bought 36 quickspin STs to refletch my carbon express 300 shafts, and i just prepped and did 2 full arrows.... when i looked the arrow in front of me, with the nock against my chest, the VANES start from right to left. i guess the jig is considered straight offset. according to this site ( http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/guide.htm ) , what i have is LEFT WING OFFSET, according tot he first pic at the top of the page.

i shoot 100gr tips if that matters. but according to the site, that means the arrow will turn counter clockwise from the shooters point of view.... doesnt that combat the little lip on my quickspin vanes???

i simply want to find out which angle to set my jig at before i fletch the rest of these arrows... this seems the wrong way.

thanks guys! (check out the site if it helps)

Old 10-14-2007, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Bohning Jig.. left or right wing offset???

In the world of firearms, there are mostly RH twists - and every arrow I can remember is fletched to impart a RH (clockwise) spin on the arrow (unless, of course, it is a straight fletch). It should work either way for regular fleching, but RH seems to be the dominate preference. And for the Quick Spin, they seem to be designed for the RH twist.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:19 PM
bigcountry

Remember with a left helical, after you shoot, your broadheads usually come loose in the target or deer. I shoot left traditional and every time I remove an arrow, I have to retighten the tip. Its a little thing, but still something.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Spike

im simply worried it work completely against the fletching lip specially designed on the quickspins... i guess ill strip em and make offset but curving left to right from the base of the fletching(closer to nock).
Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 PM

there sight newarchery.com has how to fletch the vains.....check them out...i just read it somewhere....i was switching vanes and thinkin to switch from my blazers to a 4" style vain for ibo hunting class next year...so i was checking them out