Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 left wing/right wing, does it make a difference >

left wing/right wing, does it make a difference

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

left wing/right wing, does it make a difference

Old 12-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default left wing/right wing, does it make a difference

I just got into traditional archery and want to start making my own arrows. they will be cedar shafts, but my ? is should i use right wing or left wing feathers. I am a right handed shooter, will be doing a little 3-D shooting this summer and if things work out try bowhunting with a recurve in the 2008 season.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: left wing/right wing, does it make a difference

Moved to the traditional forum for the experts. It's my understanding a right handed traditional shooter should shoot right wing feathers. Is this right trad guys?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 PM
bigcountry

Shootin off the knuckles, go with left wing. Other than that, its personal choice. Remember, however, if you fletch left, your points can come loose as you shoot easier.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive shot both with no real differance but like you said alot of people(me) go with right for right and left for left,but if your shootin longbow off the knuckles(spl) it makes a differance.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:33 PM

Also in case you do not know if you are fletching your own arrows you most use a left handed clamp on your jig with leftwingfeathers,and a right handed clamp must be used with right wing feathers.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

I have arrows fletched both ways and there's no noticable difference in flight between the two.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

When shooting off a rest or off the shelf, right wing or left wing doesn't matter.

When shooting a bow with no rest or no shelf, where the arrow is sitting on the hand, a right handed shooter would use left wing and a left handed shooter would use right wing. This is to angle the leading end of the feather off the knuckle to keep from getting feather cuts on the hand. If that leading end comes loose and is sticking up when you shoot... Well, let's just say pain doesn't contribute to good accuracy.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i always cut the sharp end of feathers off with finger nail Clippers before fletching my arrows(i dont shoot off my knuckle...so i dont know much about it) but it would probably help if i did....and didnt have the correct wing feather....you can probably use a finger nail file to soften the sharp end up.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jboynjazz

I just got into traditional archery and want to start making my own arrows. they will be cedar shafts, but my ? is should i use right wing or left wing feathers. I am a right handed shooter, will be doing a little 3-D shooting this summer and if things work out try bowhunting with a recurve in the 2008 season.
only makes difference in the MIND, Grasshopper...

here's what I'd do... fletch three left, and three right out of a half-dozen... align the nocks, and see what produces the best flight.. then fletch the rest that way...
Old 12-31-2007, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Besides mattering when shooting of the knuckles, it also matters if you are shooting a single bevel broadhead. You don't want the two working against each other.

Quick Reply: left wing/right wing, does it make a difference

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.