Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

STS help...

Old 10-14-2007, 06:17 PM

Default STS help...

About a month ago I had an STS installed on my bow. I've tried repositioning the stop from touching the string to 1/4" out. Simply put, this thing makes my bow LOUD and makes the bow recoil at the shot, something my bow previously had close to zero of. Is there any other reason to have a string supressor other than reduce noise? If not, this thing ain't doing it's job and it's coming off. My bow is a Bowtech Equalizer, 50#, 25" draw.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:05 PM

Default RE: STS help...

I have both of mine just touching the string. Among the other benefits of the STS, they also greatly reduce the possibility of the string striking the bow arm. I have quit using arm guards since the STS were installed.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

You just want to just touch the string. It should reduce shock and make your bow quieter.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rev

You just want to just touch the string. It should reduce shock and make your bow quieter.
It did exactly the opposite[&o]. Right now, it's positioned to just touching the string.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:07 AM

they also greatly reduce the possibility of the string striking the bow arm.
I would use one while hunting for this reason, if no other. Fortunately, on my bow, it completely eliminates string buzz which was about the only noise it had.

I also mounted a rubber cable dampener on the STS arm so the cable hits the dampener on return. I'm a guy who wants my bow ultra quiet, so I also have cat whiskers on the upper half of the string and on the cables. My bow makes no more noise than an extremely quiet longbow shooting a very heavy arrow.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you serve the string where the stopper comes in contact?Try moving it closer and farther away--there should be a sweet spot where you get great performance with hardly any noise.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Adjust it to just touch the String. If it makes more noise or increases Hand Shock something is not right. I haven't seen that with String Suppressor on any of the 100's of bows I've installed them on

Dan
Old 10-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

ORIGINAL: The Rev

It did exactly the opposite[&o]. Right now, it's positioned to just touching the string.
I'm not sure how it's mounted on your bow, but is everything tight ? I had the factory one work loose on my Vectrix, and it drove me nuts for a day or 2. It was moslty my fault for forgetting to check the screw after opening the new bow out of the box, but it was noisy as hel. Take it off and try the bow without it, see what happens. If you changed nothing else on the bow, that's where I would start looking to find the noise.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:09 AM

I took the STS off to reassess the bow noise. I apparently forgot what my bow sounded like without the STS. Then I put it back on. I now think it's not necessarily louder, what noise there is a lot shorter in duration and higher pitched. I have no silencers on the string at the moment. I may try some catwhiskers even though I was trying to avoid that. It's not worth a few fps to have a deer duck the arrow and possibly be wounded.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

I took the STS off to reassess the bow noise. I apparently forgot what my bow sounded like without the STS. Then I put it back on. I now think it's not necessarily louder, what noise there is a lot shorter in duration and higher pitched. I have no silencers on the string at the moment. I may try some catwhiskers even though I was trying to avoid that. It's not worth a few fps to have a deer duck the arrow and possibly be wounded.
I'm not sure what type of cam system you have, but maybe you could have your shop or a knowledgable bow mechanic check your cam timing and make sure it's all hunky dory.A bow out of time will sometimes sound funny.Most bows today don't need string silencers. I havent' used any sort of those for maybe 8 years. Look at your rest, sight etc. and see if anything could be vibrating. Good thinking on the deer jumping the string too. It's even more critical at longer ranges, like beyond 25 yards or so. They have more time to react to that noise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.