Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 need help with the wife. >

need help with the wife.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

need help with the wife.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:48 PM

Default need help with the wife.

before you all freak. its a bow question. I bought my wife a Diamond Edge. and I'm a new shooter myself. the problem is when she shoots, she pulls to the left alot( missing target sometimes). I've moved the sight to the left and she still pulls left. any suggestions,beside tying a straight edge to her arm and shoulder.
thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 05:01 PM

Default RE: need help with the wife.

Make sure she has proper grip this is the most important building block for a new shooter next stand facing the side of the bow while she is shooting and first watch her anchor point then watch to make sure she is not punching the release trigger then watch from behind and make sure she is not tilting the bow left or right also make sure her draw weight is not to much as this will cause her havalot of fatigue If She still has a problem go to the local archery shop and ask if someone can go out on the range with the both of you and watch you shoot and see if they see a Form issue most likely its a Griping Issue.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all I would make sure her draw length is correct, if its too long it will tend to stretch her out and very possibly pull shots to the left. If the draw length is ok, make sure she has a slight bend in her bow arm and that when she is at full draw that she makes a contious effort to reach out directly at the bullseye like she is trying to grab it with an open hand all the way through until the arrow hits the target. That will insure she isnt torqueing or pulling left or right.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:25 PM

hey thanks for the info, we are heading to the back yard after dinner, I'll. watch and see what happens. we both appreciate the help. she did bring up a question. do women bow hunters need to compensate for there bust line like in golf. (serious question, I'm a lucky man)
thanks again
Old 10-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Definately check thew basics like stance,draw length and grip like mentioned above but I don't think it is anything that out of the ordinary.Sounds like a follow through issue along with punching the trigger instead of squeezing the trigger.

I would also check her eye dominance.She needs to shoot whatever hand that matches the eye dominance.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:33 PM

thanks TFOX
eye dominance question. my wife is left handed but right eye dominant. could this effect her shot or is it all practice and muscle memory now.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 PM

Hello I can maybe shed some light on the dominant eye, my Daughter is also a left handed shooter. The strange thing is as long as she has a patch on her left eye she is very accurate with a firearm. When she shoots her bow she uses no patch and her left eye is the dominant one cannot figure that one out, right eye rifle, left eye bow WOW?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: lumberjack53

Hello I can maybe shed some light on the dominant eye, my Daughter is also a left handed shooter. The strange thing is as long as she has a patch on her left eye she is very accurate with a firearm. When she shoots her bow she uses no patch and her left eye is the dominant one cannot figure that one out, right eye rifle, left eye bow WOW?
I do the same thing, shoot guns righthanded, bows lefty. I'm righthanded and left eye dominant. Perhaps MedicG's wife is having her dominant eye take over the sight picture, causing her to pull to the left. That can be tested by placing a patch over her left eye and having her shoot. If she still pulls to the left, then in all likelihood the drawlength is too long. I found that 26" was too long for me by the fact I was pulling shots to the right (remember I shoot lefty). Dropped down to 25" and I ceased pulling shots.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:58 PM

first you should cook dinner, light some candles, get out the message oils............lol
Old 10-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Arp
Spike

Female perspective here... Yes she will. I started the process of buying a bow, was fitted at two stores. Both of the gentlemen that fitted me talked about compensation for the bust as you are basically reaching around somethings there. Dealers suggested (if I remember correctly )a shorter draw and a very good sports bra. A womans stance will be a bit different too. Your not going to be looking straight off the shoulder but slightly to the front.. depending. One more thing they said was to be fitted wearing the coat / clothing you will typically wear when shooting the bow.

Guys if you want to know what its like tie a sack of flour to your chest and try to draw your bow.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Arp

Quick Reply: need help with the wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.