Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Can ya keep the noise down ! >

Can ya keep the noise down !

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Can ya keep the noise down !

Old 05-18-2003, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can ya keep the noise down !

This is something I notice every spring ,, and again this spring , The noise that one makes when He/She is setting up at a tree, seems that the " NWTF Turkey Vests" are the wirst ones out there because of the Mesh material in the back. The mesh tends to grab the bark as you sit down and lean agaist the trunk. I hear this with eveyone I hunt with. Next time your with a buddy hunting and you setup take a minute and listen as he/she sets up on the bird your going to work. I just wonder with the hearing these Gobblers have how well they can hear that noise aswell Has this got something to do with why the Gobbler went the other way [] ?? What do you think...BT
Old 05-18-2003, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Can ya keep the noise down !

...Heck i dont know,my vest has no mesh seems i always make a racket setting up
if there ready to come in just for me they have not paid much to the noise until
that boom.........
Old 05-18-2003, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

You son of a gun,You yell at me every year about my vest.I know of 9 diffrent birds that didn' t mind the noise this year.You just don' t like my vest cause it' s Mossy Oak.lmao
Old 05-18-2003, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

They not only can see very well they can also hear very well. I have had a number of gobblers gobble at my footsteps in the leaves when moving in to set-up and I did' nt think I was making enough noise to be heard over a few feet.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt BT!!Unatural sounds alert all wild game especially when close and up personal with any gobbler!Ever been set-up on a gobbler without making a call and wonder why he keeps looking your way,when he hits the ground ?Its because he either heard you set-up or see' s you!Best option BT is dont rub up against the tree when setting up,sit down and then lean back against it!
Old 05-18-2003, 11:53 AM

After my first season with a Bucklick Creek Highback Lounger, the only way it will see the woods again is with some extensive modifications. It`s incredibly comfortable but makes more noise than my 12 year old nephew. I didn`t notice the first week because I had the nephew with me. After that when I was by myself I couldn`t believe how loud it was. If anyone has a line on a source of heavy brushed cotton Mossy Oak Break-up fabric I`d appreciate it. Preferably somewhere on-line that ships to Canada.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:45 AM

I always flap a turkey wing a couple of times after settling in just to reassure any wary birds out there that the small strange noises they heard a few minutes before
were actually some of their woods buddies.
I called in two gobblers a couple of years ago and they came in silent. I went to slowly set my friction call down and I accidently dropped it on my gun. At 50 yards, both birds turned and started trotting away. I picked up my call and yelped 3 times. Both birds stopped. I clucked and purred a few times and both birds came back to within 30 yards. I killed one of them.
When you talk about the mesh rubbing against the brush and other unnatural sounds I believe the turkeys definately hear it and are able to pinpoint it from amazing distances. However, unless the noise is consistant or not followed shortly by a familiar natural sound, I dont think it bothers them to much. [:-]
Old 05-19-2003, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

I had a good friend kill a bird this year just because he brushed a tree with his vest. He never touched his calls and four strutters came to see that " hen" that was scratching on that tree. Big mistake for one of them.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:57 PM

I' ve got an NWTF Mossy Oak Elite II vest and I can' t say as I' ve had a problem with the mesh being noisy. I' ve got nothing but good things to say about this vest. It' s top notch and well made as far as I' m concerned. I wouldn' t hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a premium vest. A vest or anything else for that matter is only as noisy as the person wearing it.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i usually put my decoys in my squirrel jacket , just to carry them in , then it comes off.....i bring a couple of calls and i' m good to go.......well a water too.....other than that , nothin' ................well my shotgun