Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How Could This Happen? >

How Could This Happen?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How Could This Happen?

Old 09-29-2007, 05:30 PM

Default How Could This Happen?

I had some work done to the bow a couple weeks ago....could not get broadheads to fly....went to the Pro Shop.....guy says I cannot use my whisker buisket.....it didn't fit...couldn't get true centershot...showed me with the laser tool?......so I had him put on my nap quick tune fork rest....I bought some new Montec's 100 grn......put them on my arrows..Maxima Hunter 250....and he had me shooting darts before I left....I am pleased with his work....still am......but now they are flying erratic again? I have not banged my bow or anything......I have switched the arrows with others from the same batch.....could this be it? Do I need a squaring tool? I figured if my bow is tuned, and arrows and heads come with .001 or whatever straightness....I should be able to shoot them straight? This is where this all gets confusing to me? Any Suggestions? Thanks
Old 09-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How Could This Happen?

Not all inserts are created equal could be the arrow could be the insert, spin test all your arrows and use only those that spin true and show no erratic flight behavior. This goes without saying each broadhead may vary or after shooting get a slight bend in one of the blades it doesn't take much good luck fixen your problem
Old 09-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

get good mechanicals if the heads are the problem, thats another thing people dont think about fixed heads. might shoot fine now but after practice how do they shoot. with my steelhead i just shoot field tips until the night before and screw them on. if your stuck on fixed heads check them after every practice spintest etc.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

I have no problems with brodhead flight,they hit right with my fieldpoints.If you have a goodset up most of the time yu will not hvae problems with broadhead flight.You do need a helical flecht on your vanes to achieve perfect flight with bh
Old 09-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

if he had good flight and now doesnt without changing anything, i was saying it could be his heads are bent. iwasnt saying that its just cause he uses fixed heads or anything like that, sorry if thats what i implied.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:39 PM

If you are having some arrows shoot good, and some bad....there is a difference in the arrows or the broadhead alinement, or even a fletching clearance problem requiring rotating your nock and realigning the broad head.....if none of your arrows are flying true now, andall of a suddent your flight is erratic, most likely your rest has moved or your string nock has slipped....describe erratic...are all the arrows doing the same thing? You should shoot every arrow you are planning to hunt with PRIOR to hunting and touch up your edges. The most common mistake a lot of archery hunters make is practice with the same 3 or 4 broadheads and hunt with brand new ones they have never even shot to insure broadhead sharpness.....I sent you a pm on the importance of broad head alinement for Montecs...Kirk
Old 10-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bradkoz

get good mechanicals if the heads are the problem, thats another thing people dont think about fixed heads. might shoot fine now but after practice how do they shoot. with my steelhead i just shoot field tips until the night before and screw them on.
That isn't really solving the problem, just covering it. In a well tuned bow it shouldn't matter whether you shoot a field point, broad head or mechanical. They should all fly the same and group together.

Partsjay, how do your vanes look on the arrows? You mentioned that you are now shooting a fork rest. You will want to make sure that the nocks haven't turned and are causing the fletching to hit the arrow rest. This will definately cause erratic flight.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is the new rest and tune the only work you had done, or did you get a new string and/or cables as well? If so, my first thought is string creep. If not, then I have to go with kirkll and say your rest or nockset have moved. Also, are you shooting it with exactly the same accessories that were on the bow when it was tuned or have you added a bow quiver or something else to the bow? Any changes like that can have a drastic effect on tune.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you ry shooting broadheads at the shop? Did you try shooting field tips at home? What is the draw weight of the bow and the length of the arrows, etc. It's possible the arrows are underspined. If this is the case you could show a good paper tear at the shop and good flight at home with filed points andthen put broadheads on and the flight goes to hell.

Paper tuning is pretty much just basic tuning. It shows how the arrow is leaving the bow. Not what it's doing down range. If you're going to shoot broadheads then you should broadhead tune as per Easton's Tuning Guide.

Could be that you are torquing the bow at home, too.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: JeramyK

ORIGINAL: Bradkoz

That isn't really solving the problem, just covering it. In a well tuned bow it shouldn't matter whether you shoot a field point, broad head or mechanical. They should all fly the same and group together.

Partsjay, how do your vanes look on the arrows? You mentioned that you are now shooting a fork rest. You will want to make sure that the nocks haven't turned and are causing the fletching to hit the arrow rest. This will definately cause erratic flight.
everyone is so quick to yell at the suggestion of mechanicals. the guy said his bow is tuned thats why i said shoot mechs with good ones you dont have to worry about damage from practice just shoot them only to hunt. with broadheads that last shot into the target might have bent the blades and youd never know until you shoot it at an animal.

Quick Reply: How Could This Happen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.