Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Is something wrong with my trykon xl "speed wise" >

Is something wrong with my trykon xl "speed wise"

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is something wrong with my trykon xl "speed wise"

Old 09-23-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Is something wrong with my trykon xl "speed wise"

I guys, I recieved a new trykon xl lastyear, I got it because the vextrix draw was too short for me. I am 6'4 1'2 and have a 32 inch draw, 32 1/2 with loop. However with my setup at 70lbs I think my bow is underpreforming.

I see so many people on this board talk about how there trykon and trykon xl are going 285 and higher with 29 and 30 inch draws,

i thought an inch in drawwould make your arrow go almost 10fps faster, but when I tested mine using easton st. epic arrows 400g "including tip"
i got about 278.

is something wrong with my bow do I need to get it tuned or something, is this normal and is it possible to get my bow to shoot 300fps or faster.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is something wrong with my trykon xl "speed wise"

I don't think your going to get 300 with a 400 arrow. Hoyts are not the leaders anymore. There just trying to keep up and not doing very well. I have got my 05 protec up to 292 with a 396 arrow. I don't even have your length. Dump the stock strings.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same "problem" I guess you could say. I shoot a Commander at 32" (I don't count the loop in draw length) and am getting 276 with my Maxima hunters. The arrow weight is where long draw folks lose the speed. My hunting arrows are 476 gr, but at 276, that is a deadly combo. If you are looking for speed in your draw length, pretty tough to find it since most "fast" bows are not going to get you to 32" Lighter arrows are an option, but with them being so long, pretty tough to get a well spined setup that is also very light.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's true that you can get an increase in speed (10fps.inch), but only if you are shooting the same weight arrow as all those other guys. As mentioned, your longer arrow probably means it's heavier. One counteracts the other.

What you don't mention, and a lot other don't, is what all is on your string and where it's located. Anything added to the string is much the same as having that weight on the arrow. Sure, such things as kisser buttons and peep are pretty much standard gear, but things like string silencers can make a huge difference just by sliding them closer to the cams.

Different string material can make a difference, too, as some are lighter than others. Putting things into perspective your speed isn't too shabby for a hunting rig.

Don't want to bust anybody's bubble, but I have a Martin Pantera with Nitrous cams that's doing 275fps at 27" draw and 53#, but it's tuned for speed and shooting nearly 100gr less arrow than you. Of course, set up for 3D it's doing 287fps. But then I play around for months to find out what gives me the best performance. I change things on my bows about as foten as some people change underwear.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:51 PM

so if I buy some 300g arrows, then technically they are going to be heavier than 300g because they will be the 32inch version wich will add weight.

if thats true, then what is the lightest and fastest arrow on the market, and do i still follow the 350g and above rule when shooting a 70# bow

do i have to shoot heavier than 350 because of the draw or does that not matter
Old 09-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the IBO arrow weight at 32" is just about impossible. 350 grains with a full length arrow plus insert and tip, vanes, nock is going to be really hard to do, and if you do get it down that far, spine is most likely going to be an issue. My experience with my long draw is that we are kind of unique in our situation in that most equipment is not made to fit us. A 32" bow is a rarity on the market, just look at how many you can buy in that draw length. You are going to have to sacrifice something and usually that is speed in this case, because of arrow weight. How fast do you think you need to be?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yooper has a pretty good idea of what's up. Basically it's called compromise. And you should shoot an absolute minimum of 350gr. More doesn't hurt and can be benefical. Considering your draw a lighter arrow is going to make the bow shoot louderbecause of increased vibration. This inturn can lead to some kind of bow failure. Consider it a pitfall of having such a long draw.

Think about this. Your setup is plenty fast enough and is prducing tons of kinetic energy. If it's quiet and you can draw the bow easily then it makes for an ideal setup. I'd be happy.

If you're so inclined to investigate you can log onto Gold Tip's website. Look in Products/Build Your Own Arrow. Look at UL 22 series arrows. Preferrably Pro series for your length. Work up an arrow and see what it comes out to.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:27 PM

well now that you guys put it that way, my bow is pretty sweet. I did the math and my bow is shooting about 79lbs of kinetic energy at 280

is that respectable
Old 09-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Host of Hosts

is that respectable
YES! Don't worry about speed its overated anyway
Old 09-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Madmartigan

well now that you guys put it that way, my bow is pretty sweet. I did the math and my bow is shooting about 79lbs of kinetic energy at 280

is that respectable
Respectable? Putting it in perspective it's about 3 times what you need to bea ble to get pass throughs on deer. Almost double what's needed for elk and moose. Let's see what's next in line? Elephant?

Quick Reply: Is something wrong with my trykon xl "speed wise"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.