Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Ordered bow with wrong draw weight. >

Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

So because I shoot a 49# recurve am I an unethical hunter? I can draw back quite a bit more. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs. My compound is at 62#s. I can and have comfortably drawn an 80# bow. Am I inhumane for my choice to shoot a lighter DW bow? I recently changed limbs on my bow. Went from 70# limbs set at 65# to 60# limbs bottomed out at 62#. I shoot the same arrow 2fps slower.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jsasker

.Where did you get the puppet(mdbowhunter)?
Now I'm ROFLMAO!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:54 AM

Bowhunters are a passionate bunch.

What I don't like is other people analyzing the situation without using all the facts. In otherwords, comparing A to B but B has to have a disadvantage. Thus making A and B equal.

I also don't like people assuming things. Nobody knows the real reason why this guy wanted 70lb limbs. Yet you seem to be trying to talk him out of it. It just makes no sense.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

.Where did you get the puppet(mdbowhunter)?
Now I'm ROFLMAO!
Who is mdbowhunter?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 AM

A 60 pound bow shoots right with a 70 if everything is set "equally".
See, A = B if B has a disadvantage.

Makes no sense. Why would you ever compare the two.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 AM

Mdbow/buckhunter,
Starting out by saying "maybe" gets me off the hook as far as anything i said being etched in stone--sorry for the confusion big guy.
Dave was right.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

So because I shoot a 49# recurve am I an unethical hunter? I can draw back quite a bit more. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs. My compound is at 62#s. I can and have comfortably drawn an 80# bow. Am I inhumane for my choice to shoot a lighter DW bow? I recently changed limbs on my bow. Went from 70# limbs set at 65# to 60# limbs bottomed out at 62#. I shoot the same arrow 2fps slower.
I didn't say that directly but since it seems like everyone likes to fight on here I'll humor you and say, yes.The 49# recurve, not the compound.

65# and 62# are basically the same. I'm not sure of the point here. What was the difference with the 70# compared to the 62#?

My point was that everyone jumps on someone that shoots a 70# bow like he's an ego maniac and a lunatic.I can find article after article from reputable people that state that while the lower poundage bows are more efficient then in the past you should shoot the highest weight you can comfortably pull. i never see anyone talking about that. just that some guy shot an elk with 55# bow so why do people need more.

There is way too much pier pressure on here with people telling people they are over bowed shooting at 70#'s. I've never heard suck junk in my life untilI came on here and to be honest it makes me just shake my head. It's almost like people are trying to prove they are more manly by shooting the lightest gear they can. Pretty soon you are going to have guys telling everyone on here that you should use 35# bows because 45# is just way too much.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

The difference between 70# and 62# was 9fps. How much of a difference in KE is that? Not enough to matter. Besides, who measures KE at point of impact? Most folks I know get speed through a chrono at 6 ft. Not 20 yds. I'm very curious about the measurments in KE I would get out there with the difference between 70 and 62.
Also Dave I don't agree with your assessment of my ethics at all. A 49# recurve is more than ethical IMO. It is capable of making a quick, clean kill. That TO ME is ethical.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

KE& monetum are maintained longer with a heavier arrow. Therefore, at a greater distance the heavier arrow out of the higher DW bow would have an even wider margin of increased KE & momentum. You can calculate what the KE and momentum would be at any distanceby chronoing down range if needed.

I read a good article on this issue that I'll try and pull up from one of my 50 magazines sitting by my TV and post it if you are serious about getting an answer to what the difference would be at 20 yds?

This is my opinion and mine alone. Does it meanI would think of you any diffrently no. We just have a dissagrement on that issue. I didn't speak my mind to start a fight and you asked me & I try to as honest to people as I can. The thing that matters most is howyou feel about what you shoot, not me.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, and I am curious about the distance KE measurment. I am looking at this as a debate not an argument.

Quick Reply: Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.