Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Ordered bow with wrong draw weight. >

Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:54 AM

Default RE: Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

Go ahead and order your new limbs to achieve the draw weight you want.

Most of the guys on this website that have 9000+ years of experience and have shoulder injuries speak of staying with a lower poundage bow. What you need to learn from these guys is that most of them are injuried because they never learned the proper way to pull back a higher poundage bow or....they went beyond what felt comfortable and did not listen to what their bodies were telling them. If you can pull it properly and comfortably, then shoot it!

I agree with whoever said a 60lb bow feels like a toy. I know for my personal use, I lock into my form better with a higher poundage drawing bow.

I agree with Dave, I would want the higher KE if a good shot goes bad. It almost boils down to an ethical issue. Do I want a bow that puts an arrow 6" into the foam block or a bow that puts an arrow 10" into the foam block. Think what happens if that foam block becomes a deers shoulder.

As for the comment saying that a 60lb bow will take down anything on this continent....well...so will a .22 rifle. But do people hunt elk and caribbou with a .22 rifle? I should hope not. A .22 rifle is not as effective (range and knock down power) as a .30-06. Same thing with a 60lb bow IMO.

It's funny,I never hear of people saying...you should be shooting a 70lb bow instead of a 60lb bow. Yet you quite often hear the reverse. It's almost amusing at times.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bows and guns are different weapons that kill in different ways.A 60 pound bow shoots right with a 70 if everything is set "equally".
Old 09-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jsasker

Bows and guns are different weapons that kill in different ways.A 60 pound bow shoots right with a 70 if everything is set "equally".
This is the type of thinking that flaws this whole issue. Any time a person says about using a heavier DW someone says about setting them up equally. It's just not possible to do.

A 60 lb bow does not shoot the same as a 70 lb bow and will not equal the performance period. The whole reason you buy the 70 lb bow is not to be equal but to gain something.

If you use the same arrow the 70 lb bow is faster.
If you increase arrow weight to have the speed the same the 70 lb bow has more KE and momentum.
There just isn't any equality between the 2 weapons.

example,
Person 1 says that he shoots a 60 lb bow with a 1,000 grain arrow at 200 fps to gain momentum
Person 2 can shoot that same arrow at 210+ fps. Or, he can shoot a 1,100 grain arrow at the same speed as the guy with the 60 lb bow. You gain performance with the higher DW.

Also, the thought that you have to use a heavier arrow for the higher DW and therefore negate the speed increase is just not true.

At 65 lbI shot a 391 gr arrow 282 (chronographed)
At 72 lb I shoot a 431 gr arrow 292 (chronographed)

That's a 10 fps gain with an arrow that weighs 40 grains more.
I've increased speed, KE, & momentum.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you tried a 300gr with a 60 and a 350 with a 70?I'm saying a 60 pounder will shoot very comparable with the 70 when you compensate arrow weight you should be getting pretty close to the same speed--is that good enuf for ya davey?I didn't not say anything about k.e.--don't read between the lines.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

Most of the guys on this website that have 9000+ years of experience and have shoulder injuries speak of staying with a lower poundage bow. What you need to learn from these guys is that most of them are injuried because they never learned the proper way to pull back a higher poundage bow or....they went beyond what felt comfortable and did not listen to what their bodies were telling them. If you can pull it properly and comfortably, then shoot it!

I agree with whoever said a 60lb bow feels like a toy. I know for my personal use, I lock into my form better with a higher poundage drawing bow.

I agree with Dave, I would want the higher KE if a good shot goes bad. It almost boils down to an ethical issue. Do I want a bow that puts an arrow 6" into the foam block or a bow that puts an arrow 10" into the foam block. Think what happens if that foam block becomes a deers shoulder.

As for the comment saying that a 60lb bow will take down anything on this continent....well...so will a .22 rifle. But do people hunt elk and caribbou with a .22 rifle? I should hope not. A .22 rifle is not as effective (range and knock down power) as a .30-06. Same thing with a 60lb bow IMO.

It's funny,I never hear of people saying...you should be shooting a 70lb bow instead of a 60lb bow. Yet you quite often hear the reverse. It's almost amusing at times.

Why is your example using a 22 and a 30-06? If you were to use the example of a 30-06 on the low end (60# bow)and a 338 (70# bow), then both can effectively take a caribou.
Maybe a BB gun and a 17 hmr should be the example and neither is good enough.

That being said, I do agree that they are not the same and their is a difference in performance. I only disagree that you are comparing a 60# bow to a 22lr on caribou
Old 09-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you tried a 300gr with a 60 and a 350 with a 70?
Why,I wouldn't use either for hunting.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:17 AM

Have you tried a 300gr with a 60 and a 350 with a 70?I'm saying a 60 pounder will shoot very comparable with the 70 when you compensate arrow weight you should be getting pretty close to the same speed--is that good enuf for ya davey?I didn't not say anything about k.e.--don't read between the lines.
Why would you EVER set up a 60lb bow to shoot comparable to a 70lb bow. Isn't the point of getting a 70lb bow to gain performance?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: DannyD

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

Why is your example using a 22 and a 30-06? If you were to use the example of a 30-06 on the low end (60# bow)and a 338 (70# bow), then both can effectively take a caribou.
Maybe a BB gun and a 17 hmr should be the example and neither is good enough.

That being said, I do agree that they are not the same and their is a difference in performance. I only disagree that you are comparing a 60# bow to a 22lr on caribou
A 60lb bow can kill a carribou and a .22lr can kill a carribou. I picked the .22 because my point is saying "a 60lb bow can kill any animal on this continent" is a stupid comment and makes no sense because a .22 can as well!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:22 AM

Why wouldn't you compare KE? That's a big piece of the puzzle. It's like comparing two racecars without paying any attention to their engines. Makes no sense.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

johnny,
You are using a very light set-up to try and make a comparison that just doesn't compare. Even if the speed is close the momentum is not and you will not getthe same performance. You are using a target shooter's mentality here.I didn't read between anything. i'm just tired of hearing people say that there are equal when they are not. Sure, you can get the speed the same but you have to increase arrow weight substantially to do so. as a result you are increasing other factors that help to anchor an animal. Overlooked is the fact that for normal hunting arrow weights you can get an arrow that would weigh the same with a stiffer spine and shoot faster. is that good enough for yah?

Quick Reply: Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.