Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 tru nock twisting >

tru nock twisting

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tru nock twisting

Old 09-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default tru nock twisting

new guy . had a question about my nock and bow string

im using a trunock (machined aluminum D loop release) on a new (never used) reflex buckskin,,and after shooting it , say 3 or 4 times, ill notice when i go and nock a new arrow that my D loop is not centered anymore.. as if the string itself has rotated to the point where my loop is at a 45deg angle instead of being straight/inline... the screws are tight..and takes a bit of playing wiht the string to get it back to alignment again.. i was wondering whast causing this to happen, if this is a big deal and if it can be fixed...if so.. how?

thank you
Old 09-21-2007, 05:45 AM

Default RE: tru nock twisting

The best thing you can do is have some who knows how to tie one in. Even if you get it tight the serving will turn on you with the aluminum D loop. some times a aluminum d loop will even hit your buzz cables becasuse of the weight. A tied in loop will not do this and work so much better for you
Old 09-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

This thing is heavy and the laws of physics say that tarvelingforward at such a speed something has to go somewhere. It's got all that momentum behind it. The best course of action is to remove the thing and trash it.

If you do a search on this site and others you'll find that there are a dozen negatives about this thing and not much positive to be said. I won't go into the details.

Put a string loop on instead and you'll be much better off.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dump it and get a tyed on nock , as sugested
Old 09-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

DONE!

picked up a set of loops, among a few other things at the store today

came with directions so i tied it on myself. and melted the cut ends.. i put it in the exact same location as the d loop was where the proshop placed it.. im going to a buddies house later to shoot for a few hours.. ill post back the results

one other question.. with these tied on loops.. what can i do to help stop the loop from sliding up and down the serving that is wrapped onto the string? its not moving "that" easly..but i can move it with my fingers if i try.. i just dont want it to move up or down and not notice it resulting in one of my new arrows flying into the stratosphere

thanks for the help guys... been an awesome help!
Old 09-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

If done correctly you'll find that is a "self-tightening" knot and it will not slide up/down your string. Good choice to dump the metal D-loop.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

One trick I learned a couple years ago was to wax the serving before installing a loop. It reduces the friction between the two materials and lets the loop pull tighter into the serving. Another trick is to use a pair of needle nose pliers. Stick them into loop and force the jaws open with as much pressure as you can muster.

Be prepared to watch the loop get longer when you do this. It takes some practice, but you'll soon learn to make a loop that only sticks out from the string about 1/4". When you spread the pliers it'll soon become 3/4". I firget who makes some pliers for this, but the good old ones at home work. If you intend on tying a lot of them over time it helps to file or grind a groove around the outside cicumference of the plier's jaws.

Oh yeh, you can tying some dental floss around the knots, but if tightened right it shouldn't move. Just be sure that the two knots are far enough apart that the nock doesn't get pinched.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

just got back from my buddies house.. he helped me with my form.. the string arm was cocked a little witch was making the bow twist left during my follow through and with the WB im shooting .. was making my shots high and left.. readjusted everything.. and hitting nice groups at 15yds and 25yds.

the loop did lengthen, almost 1/2 times its orginal size.. i think im gonna tighten it up.. its a good inch away from the sting now..before it was 1/2inch

i think it helped improve my shot... i feel more solid and when i let the arrow fly i get a better feeling that its gonna hit what i want it to hit...and the proof of tighter groups reasures me of this

the loop did tighten up after the first 4 shots and i can not move it at all on the string...

thanks again for all the help guys...