Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow Set Up Question >

Bow Set Up Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Set Up Question

Old 09-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Spike

Default Bow Set Up Question

I am shooting a Hoyt Viper Tec with Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350's, G 5 Montec 125's, and have a 30" draw length. What poundage would you recommend for this setup? I'm pretty stout so higher poundage doesn't really bother me. Just want some opinions, I feel like I'm under weighted for my setup at 62#'s.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:25 AM

Default RE: Bow Set Up Question

If you're willing to do some bareshaft testing, you can find the exact draw weight your arrows fly best at. This is where your draw weight should be set. This holds true for every setup. If you just crank it up without finding this out, and your arrows happen to fly weak, you may actually decrease penetration and the forgiveness of your arrows.

Assuming they have the proper spine, most bowhunters would be better off increasing tip weight, and decreasing draw weight.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow Set Up Question

It depends on the arrow length you plan on using. For a 30" arrow you areunderspined at 62lb for hunting. As you shorten the arrow you can increase DW. At 29" you are good.

I wouldn't increase the DW with that arrow and your DL.