Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Something Creaking >

Something Creaking

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Something Creaking

Old 09-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Something Creaking

So I was shooting this morning, and my bow started to make a creak when I pulled back, It's fairly loud and I have no idea where its coming from. If anybody has any ideas, could you help me out?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Something Creaking

Pull out your axles and clean them up and lube them good. 80% of the time I have seen, thats where creaks come from.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you big!. I am not very good with bows, so I might have to take it to the shop to have it down.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 AM

I would bet a doughnut it's the cable slide. If you can, take the cables off the slide, clean the cable grooves, and clean the cable gaurd and the slide......

If even the slightest piece of dirt gets in there, it makes all kinds of racket.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I would bet a doughnut it's the cable slide. If you can, take the cables off the slide, clean the cable grooves, and clean the cable gaurd and the slide......

If even the slightest piece of dirt gets in there, it makes all kinds of racket.
I agree, and it's something you can do yourself fairly easily. Clean the rod with alcohol and do not put any lube on it afterwards. Might also be the donut shaped washers your cable yoke attaches to at the limb tip. A drop of lube here can't hurt, but my money is on the cable slide.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Ok I found the problem, it is the cable slide, I cleaned it with alcohol and its slowly getting better. New problem though, and I didn't want to start a new thread cause I am sure it has been asked here a hundred times. My string loop just came off, and have I have a few more but don't really know how to tie it. Is it really hard?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 PM

No, it's simply a clove hitch knot if you know what that is......BUT, better safe than sorry, have your pro shop tie a new one on for you.

Oh, and make sure there isn't excessive wax build up in the cable slide from the cables going through it.....
Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

No, it's simply a clove hitch knot if you know what that is......BUT, better safe than sorry, have your pro shop tie a new one on for you.

Oh, and make sure there isn't excessive wax build up in the cable slide from the cables going through it.....
Yea I am going to take it to the pro shop, and I checked and there is no wax buildup. Thanks for the help everyone...it has been a great morning[:@]