Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New Peep...Shooting Issues >

New Peep...Shooting Issues

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Peep...Shooting Issues

Old 09-09-2007, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default New Peep...Shooting Issues

I recently switched out my old peep for a larger diameter G5 Metapeep. I'm liking the ability to see the entire sight picture, but my groups have become inconsistent.

My question is...after changing out a peep sight, do you need to re-sight the bow? Please keep in mind that the peep did come down on the string from the location of the previous one.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Peep...Shooting Issues

Please keep in mind that the peep did come down on the string from the location of the previous one.
If this is the case then yes you will have to re sight the bow.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

your groups got bigger because your peep got bigger. try to center your sight housing in the peep hole while aiming.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

your groups got bigger because your peep got bigger. try to center your sight housing in the peep hole while aiming.
x2, the peep is just thereso you know where to put your sight. You should see a circle within a circle, make sure the sight is perfectly centred in your peep...and it should shoot just like before. However, if the circle for your sight is cheated over a little in one direction in your peep you're obviously not going to be shooting perfectly.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DaRookie

I recently switched out my old peep for a larger diameter G5 Metapeep. I'm liking the ability to see the entire sight picture, but my groups have become inconsistent.

My question is...after changing out a peep sight, do you need to re-sight the bow? Please keep in mind that the peep did come down on the string from the location of the previous one.

The first thing you need to do is get the peep where it belongs when you anchor.Sounds to me like you are using the peep to dictate where you anchor,that is backwards.The peep should be adjusted so that it is perfect when you anchor.This will cause your groups to open up,especially if the other peep was in the right place and this one isn't.

Yes,if it isn't in the same location as the other peep,you will need to resight.

After you get the peep where it belongs,then you can use the sight housing as a reference.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

I like to set my peep with my eyes closed. Install it close to where you think it should be, then draw your bow with your release and an arrow on the string with your eyes closed. Set your anchor points with your eyes closed, so everything feels good, then open your eyes to and adjust and have a buddy slide your peep to align with your eye.

If you grouped good beforehand, your peep is either to high/to low on the string now, in effect screwing up your anchor points, or the sight housing is not centered in the peep hole at full draw. I always try to size my peep to fit my sight housing at full draw, sometimes bigger ain't always better.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Darookie, what you have to realize is that although you can see more sight picture , the larger hole also means you have to pay closer attention to your anchor point. You may be getting higher in the peep on one shot and lower on anther shot.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:55 AM

I was practicing with my Bowtech Patriot Dually this weekend and confirmed that with a larger peep opening, you can get some variation in your group.

Obiviously, if you can't keep the front sight perfectly aligned in the peep, you'll get variation (in my case...I stay on for windage...bu could see difference in elevation).

I tested this theory a bit by aiming with the dot in the bottom of the peep, and in the top of the peep (touching the peep edge itself).

I'm considering going to a smaller peep, but know that it's tough trade-off as a larger peep tends to be less of a problem for me in the woods.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: DaRookie

The first thing you need to do is get the peep where it belongs when you anchor.Sounds to me like you are using the peep to dictate where you anchor,that is backwards.The peep should be adjusted so that it is perfect when you anchor.This will cause your groups to open up,especially if the other peep was in the right place and this one isn't.

Yes,if it isn't in the same location as the other peep,you will need to resight.

So true. And along with peep position comes tweeking the draw length. These two things help with your anchor almost making a peep unneeded, if you shoot enough to establish the anchor. A sure way, but not the only way to tell if the draw length and peep position is right is that when you look at your target and come to full draw you should not have to adjust your head whatsoever. That's called making the bow fit you and not the other way around.

After you get the peep where it belongs,then you can use the sight housing as a reference.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help, guys. I took the bow in today to have it looked at and the peep turned out to be the least of my problems. Here's what the issues were:
1. WB brushes damaged
2. Centershot Off
3. Peep tied in poorly
4. Cable slide was being cut-through by cables causing loss of clearance
5. Due to loss of clearance - blazers were hitting cables and had begun to rub a flat spot on the cable

No wonder I couldn't buy a decent group!!

Anyway, here's what the shop did for me to get everything resolved --
1. New rest (Bowtech Hostage) properly adjusted for centershot and all that. Love it so far.
2. Retied peep
3. New Cable Slide
4. Ditched the Blazers for 4" Vanes

Basically, the shop I bought the bow at didn't know ****. Anyway, lesson learned and found a shop with some real professionals that I feel confident in.