Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New Concept to me / What do you think? >

New Concept to me / What do you think?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Concept to me / What do you think?

Old 09-06-2007, 01:57 PM

Default New Concept to me / What do you think?

I have always sighted my bow by having 3 or 4 pins set at 20-30-40 yds. etc. Well, a guy I met at the pro shop gave me a new way to sight your hunting rigs. I'm curious if this old news (becauseit's new to me)and/or what your opinions might be.

The kill zone on a deer is roughly nine inchessquare. Start out at 15 yds. Your aim point NEVER changes, it's always the center of the square.
When you have the desired group hitting approx. 3.5" high of your aim point; start moving back until the group is now approx. 3.5" low of the aim point. For me, that is 27 yds. My top pin is now good for any distance between 15-27 yds. Now adjust your next pin so your groupinghits at the top of the square, repeat moving back until you are at the bottom, repeating until all your pins have a range.

For me it is:P1 15-27,P2 27-35,P3 35 -42. I like this system because when you estimate a target at let's say 25.5 yds. Either your first or second pin is the correct choice......you either hit high/low of your aim point by no more than a couple of inches. We're not shooting at a dime size bullseye, anything inside the nine inch ring is a dead deer.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:40 PM

Default RE: New Concept to me / What do you think?

interesting, and makes good sense... gives your range estimation a leeway if you're off by a couple yards or so
Old 09-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great if your only interested in 9 inch square... But I would like to pop the top off a rabbit at 40 yards, when I get bored.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

thats not really a good thing for treestand hunting on close shots youll shoot right over a deer because youll already be shooting higher plus adding on 3.5". i shoot 1 pin to 30yrds at 10yrds im about 1.5"-2" high at 15-25 im in a 2inch circle and at 30 im 1.5" low. i only use 1 other pin (far from my other so no confusion) for 40-50yrds. being high up close with multiple pin set up isnt really worth it. you already have more then one pin use it for dead on. most bows shooting over 200fps will shoot from 5-20 yrds in a 4" circle so that should be pin 1 and then sort out the rest. having a range with multi pins just seems like there will be more to think about beside what pin to use the where to hold that pin. i like to think of the 9" zone and be able to put it in half that so you should be good with a little error or movement of the deer but haveing a 9" range is alot. i dont know i might be thinking funny cause im tired and im big on trying to use 1 pin as much as possible cause most missed shots i see people say " had the wrong pin on him" .
Old 09-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds interesting. Have you tried it out? I set my first pin dead on at 18 for similar reasons.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:18 PM

Interesting thoughts by all. I've got to tell "The REV", I'm certainly not on his leauge. Rabbit's head @ 40 yds.....no way. PLEASE don't tell me that it's while he is hopping! Maybe it's because I've never been that bored or your rabbits are a lot bigger than ours are?

Good point on that very close in shot Bradkoz. I was thinking, I've never let one get in that close; but not to say it won't happen some day.

It seems to work for me, because I can only est. distance within 3-4 yds. This makes me feel I may not be grouping as tight as some, but good enough. Thanks for the input so far....it is appreciated