Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you think of this concept? >

What do you think of this concept?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you think of this concept?

Old 08-05-2006, 05:47 PM

Default What do you think of this concept?

I was listening to Bowhunting radio today and the guest was Judd Cloony. He brought up some interesting ideas, but they don't go along w/ common philosophy. He was talking about tracking deer after the shot. He said unless it's a gut hit, get down and push the deer. Now, his reasons, to me anyway, make sense.

When you hit a deer marginally, and the deer lays up, he is actually in the healing process. He's getting his wits about him, his wounds are healing, the blood is clotting, and he will be able to "think" more clearly. Then, the animal can sneak away, possibly to never be seen again.

Whereas if you push the deer, his adrenaline gets flowing, his heart gets pumping, and the blood doesn't clot as much. Shock sets in more, and death is quicker. He actually tells his guides to run straight at the deer as fast as they can sometimes to instill fear in the deer.

I don't explain it as well as he, you need to listen to it yourself, but what do you think? Make sense, or hogwash?
Old 08-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you think of this concept?

I have heard that option before. If you can chase the deer for miles and not cross anyone elses property that might work. A scared wounded deer can cover a lot of ground in a hurry. If it is left alone you might find it dead in the first place it stopped and laid down. Not a guarantee but few things are in hunting.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:15 PM

Not to hijack the thread but....bowhunter radio? Where do you get that..satellite?
Old 08-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: partsjay

Not to hijack the thread but....bowhunter radio? Where do you get that..satellite?
I was wondering that also.

And to comment on the idea, I think it could work possibly. I'm not going to try it with a bad hit on a big buck however.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:19 PM

www.bowhuntingmag.com

Click on bowhunting radio.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:25 PM

I would rather wait for the deer to die on his own,instead of chasing him threw the woods
Old 08-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only deer I ever lost was because my dumb azz pushed it. Don't ever push a wounded deer.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

It might work once in a while, but not usually. CLotting starts immediately. Even pushed, unless you've broken a leg or something it will clot up, unless of course it's vital hit, in which case the deer would lay up if not pushed and die anyway. All these experts have to punch out so many articles and shows. There's more of them now days. Increasingly and more increasinly they tend to push the envelope. A liver hit deer will bed up within 200-250 yards and die. If you push him he may just go that extra distance needed to loose his tracker. Sure he'll die, but the longer he's on his feet the bigger the search cone becomes and the larger the haystack to find the needle. So I got off topic. In their effort to come up with a "New Angle", a "Different approach" or to get the jump on the others, they're spewing more and more what I call, "Expert Bullhockey". They all want to become "THE EXPERT" and get the boss off their back. It's all pretty much been said by so many people in so many ways they look for some lightning bolt from the sky to declare themselves "SUPER EXPERT". Would you follow the guys advice I'd say you'd still find the deer that would die quickly, but I fear you'd loose too many that could have been found. Of course, who has all these wounded deer anyway, not me.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:04 PM

My opinion is any deer that dies when pushed was gonna die anyways........and any deer that beds down and lives to sneak away would not have died if pushed.

A wound is fatal or it isn't..........you aren't gonna make a non fatal hit kill a deer by chasing it and sending them into shock.........unless that is the name of the next county

Old 08-05-2006, 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Of course, who has all these wounded deer anyway, not me.

No kidding..........my advice to anyone that finds the need to chase after deer they shot in hopes of shocking them to death...........is to spend more time at the range and learn how to shoot.

You want shock???.........try an arrow through both lungs.......works EVERY time. They will be dead before you can even get down to run after them

Quick Reply: What do you think of this concept?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.