Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 ANY STRING MAKERS IN THE HOUSE >

ANY STRING MAKERS IN THE HOUSE

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ANY STRING MAKERS IN THE HOUSE

Old 09-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ANY STRING MAKERS IN THE HOUSE

Looks like murphy is starting with me early this year!I was out shooting and doing some fine tuning and everything was going fantastic(should have been suspicious right there),then i started inspecting everything on my bow and notice my serving getting fuzzy on the end loop so i looked closer and sure enough--I NEED TO RE-SERVE MY STRING ON THE END LOOPS![&o]I have never built a string or even been present to watch anyone else do it either,so i'm wondering if it's something i can do(i've done center serving on my own bow string)or will i have to bring it in?I WILL be talking to Bucknasty either way to get a new set and would like to fix the existing string and use it as a backup if possible.I have everything i need to work on the bow but no experience with string building and now is NOT the time to make my first set with season right around the corner!HELP!
Old 09-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Spike

Default RE: ANY STRING MAKERS IN THE HOUSE

Contact giblet he's been a member here for a long time. He makes bucknasty strings fully custom made from the materials you choose and colors you choose. Top notch stringmaker!!!!! Oh yeah and 10:1 odds the strings are here well before season.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:48 PM

honestly, unless something cut thru the serving and your string is next, i wouldn't worry about it. the mathews strings don't come w/ the loops served. its more of a courtesy to do it than a necessity. that said, the ones served in the actual strand that the string was made from is best (imho). that way you know your string isn't slowly sliding apart -which it can do on hot days when done certain other ways.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

So the serving on the loops doesn't contribute to the string NOT slipping?If the serving next to the loops is just there to protect against wear and tear,i could re-serve that myself.Where is the string secured from pulling apart?I thought the serving was what kept the string from coming apart[&:].
Old 09-04-2007, 10:58 AM

Nope, the string itself is a continuous loop. The serving just protects it going through the cam/limb tips.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still not understanding how the string doesn't have two ends that would need to be secured somehow[&:].Maybe that's why string makers have ALL the money and get ALL the women!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

I'm with you on that one jsasker. There has to be two ends to the string somewhere. I have some cable that the serving has moved considerably and I took them off and put the factory cables back on because they scared me. I can see that the string can make a continuos loop but there still has to be ends. But, knowing that makes me feel a lot better about my other cables.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:53 AM

the tag ends do have to be secured somehow. how this is done has more to do w/ your string slipping than the serving. of course, tight as he!! serving doesn't hurt - but its why i use the tag ends of the string to serve the loops. its one of the techniques on the bcy dvd, but for complete use i believe i got the technique from VT, who got it from c r a c k e r s.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

The strings that i'm having serving issues with are W.C.--any idea if they use the serving to keep the string from coming loose?You must have gotten Mr.Carter stinky drunk to get his trade secrets?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 AM

mike will help with about anything. he's a real good guy, or he has always been to me. wc uses a little different technique now w/ xcoat - they use to use thread. i don't want to say exactly how they do it, or i may have to explain to someone how i know LOL.i think my way is better, which its similar to mike's and VT's, but i've evolved it to be a bit different than either of theirs.

Quick Reply: ANY STRING MAKERS IN THE HOUSE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.