Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Grip hand placement >

Grip hand placement

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Grip hand placement

Old 08-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Grip hand placement

Hello,

After doing some tuning and shooting of my broadheads I am realizing that I am having problems torquing the bow and changing the pressure of my left hand. The results are pulled shots to the left and in consistent vertical fall of the arrows. I have read some stuff on the internet about hand placement, I just wondering if you have any advice on where I should feel the pressure on the my left hand when at full draw.( I am right handed). I am currently extending my arm, turning my hand clockwise and slightly up and grasping the bow. I’m trying to keep a low wrist position and keep forward pressure on the bow. I realize that I may need to start shooting blank bale to really try and correct some of these problems. Just looking for any insight or advice. If this has been hashed over else where here could you provide a link, I searched but did not find anything on this site.

Thanks

Fred
Old 08-28-2007, 02:02 PM
NWA
Spike

Default RE: Grip hand placement

I grip my bow with a open hand, with 99% of the pressure, on the pad of my hand, leading up to my thumb. I was taught this way, way back when I first started hunting with a bow 20 yrs ago. It works for me.

I hope this helps
Nick
Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here ya go.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:44 PM
bigcountry

For years, I shot high wristed open handed, and it was impossible to torque. But also after 20 shots alot of strain on the hand, hard to make a steady shot. So I recently changed to a low wrist, open handed with 95% of the force on the heel of my thumb.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:47 PM

There is a "life line" in your hand. Put your left arm out and twist your fingers to the left. Your hand will make a backwards check mark, the low spot of the check, or where the webbing between your thumb and index finger is where the line starts. Take a corner or an arrow shaft, place it in the crease then lay it across your palm until it lays between the two pads of your hand by your wrist. That line should go directly on the back like of the grip if its a straight grip such as a bowtech. then just let your fingers stay kinda lose yet not wiggling.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...unter/getagrip
Old 08-28-2007, 09:44 PM

That's why I love this website. Photos, a link, and great descriptiveadvice. Just what I needed. You guys are the best.

Thanks

Fred