Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 I learn something new everyday >

I learn something new everyday

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I learn something new everyday

Old 08-28-2007, 11:46 AM

Default I learn something new everyday

I've read the raves and discounted them as mere anecdotal incidences. After all, in my mind, there was no was a 2" vane could control an arrow as well as a 5" helical vane. After all, that's what I had used for over 30 years, and that's what I had always read - use had to use the largest helical vanes to get good broadhead flight.

But yesterday, out of nothing more than boredom, I took a half dozen 2216 Superslams and slapped on some 2" Blazers. I had everything already set up for hunting this year, and was shooting 125 gr. Thunderheads w/5" fletch right where my field points were hitting, so I knew my setup was spot on and I wasn't going to change anything. My thoughts were that this was just something to do to make things more interesting, and in all reality, it was a waste of time. I'd glue on the Blazers, shoot them a little, see that my arrows with broadheads were flying like crap, and then strip off the Blazers and put the bare 2216's back in the workshop for future use.

But lo and behold, the inital shots with the Blazers were right on the money, and the arrows flew like darts. So I screwed on some broadheads, and was even more pleasantly surprised when the Thunderhead 125 tipped arrows flew even better than the 5" vanes. And just for grins, I screwed on a couple of 125 gr. Muzzys, and they flew at same point or impact as well.

So now I'm a Blazer convert. They fletch a lot quicker than 4" or 5" vanes, but although they don't have the helical due to their short length, who cares - they work, and that's what counts. This old dog is still learning a new trick now and then...a lot later than most, but better late than never.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I learn something new everyday

I switched to Blazers this year and have also noticed some major improvements. I also switched arrows, so I don't know how much I can attribute to the Blazers.