Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 fletching painted or dipped arrows >

fletching painted or dipped arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching painted or dipped arrows

Old 08-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Spike

Default fletching painted or dipped arrows

I just started painting arrows, I think I tried to cheat the system by spray painting thin layers for a base coat and using testors enamel paint for my cresting. My problem is that some vanes (2" blazers) don't adhere as well as others, sometimes paint comes off with the vanes and sometimes just the vanes come off. I haven't even shot the arrows yet and I'm having problems. Just wondering if you any of you bowhunting gurus out there have any suggestions. Thanks for your time.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: fletching painted or dipped arrows

Depends on a few things. First make sure you get quality spray paint. Krylon worked best for me. Next, let the paint dry for a couple of days.Even with the fast drying paint. The paint on the outside may feel drybut the layers underneath are still drying. I tried fletching within 12 hours after painting and had less than favorable results. Third, buy a good quality glue. Some glues like Bohning Fletch-Tite and the Platinum eat into the paint. I use Goat Tuff and haven't had any problems. Fourth, make sure after the paint has dried to clean it with a clean cloth. Don't touch the paint or the fletching contact area with your fingers. Fifth, let the fletching dry overnight before you shoot.

I have sold a ton of arrows done this way and have only had a few come back with vanes coming off. And that was probably due to my carelessness in prepping.

Good luck to ya.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Spike

I appreciate the info, it helps alot. Its a tough art to learn, but I have a feeling when I get it down, its gonna be very rewarding. Good luck to you, also, this year.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:25 PM

Bohning FletchLaq dipping paint and FetchTite glue are the only way I ever did them before wraps. It worked great. I wonder if you could thin Fletch Laq and shoot it through an airbrush?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:30 PM

You can thin down fletchlac and shoot it. The problems with paint coming off with the vanes is using a lacquer over an enamel, or vice-versa. The paints will also wrinkle if not compatible.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Spike

all these help alot, thanks.