Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fletching arrows >

Fletching arrows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fletching arrows

Old 06-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Fletching arrows

I was killing some time this afternoon and found myself in the Gander Mtn archery section (surprise surprise) and I picked up a Bohning fletching jig (one of those inexpensive red plastic ones), some new white wraps and some new five inch white feathers. Having never fletched arrows before i managed to make a wonderful mess with my first attempt. but after toying with it a little more i successfully fletched my first arrow! haha i must admit it was kinda rewarding to go down in the basement and shoot it. Being a novice I was wondering how many guys here fletch or make their own arrows and if you do if you had any tips, techniques, or recommendations?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fletching arrows

I started fletching my own arows a couple years ago myself and it does give you a sense of pride to make your own arrows! Haha the first year I started fletching I had all sorts of different color fletching on my arrows, my quiver looked like something that belonged to a clown!!!

the only thing I do that may be different is I put my fletchings much closer to the back of my arrow, because in my thinking the further back the fletching the more stabilization the arrow SHOULD have but thats not saying it's true??? I havent had any problems yet though??

I also use a cheap Red plastic Bohning but for doing a dozen or so arrows a year it should last for quite awhile???

Old 06-30-2009, 04:28 AM
Typical Buck

I have a black Bohning fletching jig. Do all my own arrows. I generally the back of my fletching at the 3/4" hatch from the bottom of the clamp. Seems to work well for me?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

i started fleching last fall.bought a arazona ez-fletch.i too made a big mess first time, but didnt take long to get the hang of it.i like it. good way to kill time in off season.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys! Mine came with an adapter to fletch four feathers on the arrow instead of the traditional three. I was thinking about trying just to see how it worked, but i was wondering if anyone knew what the pros or cons of four feathers vs. three?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started this past year as well. One tip I was given is to not squeeze the tube of glue but let it flow out. Seems to really help to keep it nice and clean

Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

less is more when using glue....two major reasons for a fletching to come off (other than torn off by shooting same spot with mulitple arrows) is 1) shaft not cleaned properly.

2) not glued all the way to ends of fletching or vein, not to be confused with using more glue, just make sure its an even stream from tip to tip.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:52 PM

I have done my own vanes for years now, and it is pretty fun to play with colors etc. I happen to use an Arizona EZ-fletch and over the years I'm sure it has paid for itself in arrow repairs etc. instead of having them done at a shop. Like most things, practice makes perfect, lol.
Have fun!
Old 07-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly guys, I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but I quit fletching a couple of years ago when the shrink-fletch came out. It just so easy and nontime consuming and less messy, I don't think I'll ever go back to doing it myself. I even have one of those expensive Jo-Jan multi-fletchers but right now it's just sitting on top of my gun cabinet collecting dust. I have had no trouble with any of the fletching coming off or anything. But I'll say this to you, if you're havin fun doing it yourself, go for it.

Blessings......Pastorjim
Old 07-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just ordered all the stuff to start doing my own aroows...should be fun. I too ordered the Bohning jig as I will not do that many in a year!

Quick Reply: Fletching arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.