Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Best bow for a child >

Best bow for a child

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best bow for a child

Old 08-07-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Best bow for a child

I am looking to buy my 5 year old daughter her first bow. She currently loves to shoot an old bow at our local shop. The only problem is that this bow has the rest broken off and she can't take it home. Therefore, I am looking for a good bow with a 9.5 lb draw weight. I have seen several on the internet, but I don't want to order blindly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Z
Old 08-07-2007, 09:04 PM

Default RE: Best bow for a child

The Browning Micro Midas IV is a wonderful childs bow. It is adjustable from 18 to 28 inches (in 1" increments) and is available in 30 and 40 pound models. Those are max weights, of course. The lightest you can get them is about 18 pounds....SUPER adjustable, very smooth. Just an awesome shooting bow.

The Hoyt Rintec is awesome as well. Same DL adjustments, and weight, but the cost is more. You can get the browning set up for about 270 and the Rintec is more for the bare bow......Couldn't go wrong with either one though.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

This question has been asked numerous times over the last few weeks if you search the forums. But I am not sure of any suggestions for a bow that can have a draw weight of 9.5lbs. I am not sure of any that can go that low. My daughter is 8 and she shoots a Diamond Edge with a 19.5lbs draw weight.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 PM

There are a few bows made by Bear that are 9.5 lb. Most are long bows and couple are "compounds" without let offs.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

I bought my kid a mathews mini genesis:

Draw Weight
6 to 12 lbs. (adjustable)
Draw Length
14" to 25"
Axle to Axle Length
29 1/8" (Approx)
Brace Height
6 1/8" (Approx)
Riser Length
16" (Approx)
Physical Weight
2 lbs. (Approx)

I put a WB rest on it so when she draws it back the arrow dont fall off. It's a nice little bow to start with. When she out grows it her sister will be ready for it.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Check out the Fred Bear Odyssey II. I'm looking at this for my son.
Brian
Old 08-08-2007, 09:22 AM

I agree with the Genesis Mini. My daughter started out on that and just this year moved up to a regular Genesis. They are a great product!