Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

im stumped...

Old 08-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default im stumped...

2 weeks ago i was at a local 3D shoot with a buddy. upto target 13 i was on fire...pretty much straight 10s. target 13 i noticed my peep rotated and one of the 3 strands was in my face. like always, i rotated my loop to make up for it. after that i been shooting way high..checked EVERYTHING. its all tight and where it was/should be. im shooting 30yd shots with my 15/20yd pin and its still a touch high(bow shoots about 260fps...)

i cant figure it out...arrow flight also is bad at times...looks like they corkscrew...

the bow was broadhead tuned and shooting really well...i figured if the nock moved or the rest moved my broadheads would shot it...screwed one on to see and it shot fine...

i got a new string coming, which will be here any day now, so i didnt feel the need to goto the shop and have it looked at...

its a Reflex Highlander with a cam and a 1/2...

i inspected everything and all checks out..tiller, peep, no cracks or nothing wierd...im stumped...anything to have checked out while its getting the new string?? we will paper tune and then i will walk back and broadhead tune after i get the string...but im just making sure its not something a little more serious like timing or anything of that nature...
Old 08-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: im stumped...

Did you check ata & brace?

sometimes the string or cable will start to go south UNDER the serving and when that happens its heck to keep a bow in tune until all of a sudden, it lets loose. I had that happen with a bow of mine a few years back that went form a rock steady in tune bow to needing tweaks every few days. I opened the bow case one day and the limbs were nearly straight out, the cable had let go and the bow was only being held together by the string.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

hmmm that sounds plausable...i never checked my ATA or brace from the start though...could i just go from what the factory says it should be or does that change with draw legnth and poundage adjustments??

hopefully the new string fixes my problems and i have my solid, good shootin bow back...i was holding good groups today...shooting 30yds with my top pin lol...been shooting just to work on/keep form...
Old 08-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it all moves once you drop off from max draw weight. Not much, but it does change since the limb timps come closer together when the poundage is relaxed.

Once you get the new strings on and all is well, make sure to write down all the specs of the bow when it is at your liking. That way you can do a simple check to see if anything moves.

Is the nock height and peep sight still at the correct location?
(when I used a peep I measured it's location compared to the center of my string loop as a reference point)
Old 08-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

thought that they changed with adjustments...

i will write all that down and hide it in my case when i get the string on and the bow shootin good again...

the nock and loop look fine...arrow sits square like it should..and the peep comes back like it always have...i shut my eyes and drew and opened it and was looking right through it...that was the first thing i thought to do actually...i did notice when i retied my loop that the serving was garbage...its a year old..i just tied a new one to see if it moved...my serving is worn where my nocking point is...all looked well...im betting its just time for a new string...which im glad i got on the way..

thanx for the help dave...hopefully the string is here soon...im getting behind...season starts in just over a month and im not broadhead tuned no more!!!! heck i never even shot my new arrows...i hope i dont have any problems and its smooth sailing...ugh...3 weeks i head back to college too...cuts my shooting time from 7 days a week to 3...i hope to be good and tuned by then..
Old 08-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll getter done.
Sounds like you are plenty determined to get it right.

I don't even get in the mood to shoot bheads until a month or so before season. Same bow, same arrows, same heads-SHOULD be easy enough[8D]
Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you shooting a fallaway or some type of rest tha has a stop that could have slipped on you?

Really sounds like you have encountered some type of contact that is pushing the arrow up and that is causing the high arrows as well as the cork screw.

The string is definately the first thing I would replace after checking the tiller and for limb damage.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

tfox...im old school...shooting a nap 1000 prong rest. the only thing i can think of is maybe i bumped the tension adjustment...not sure if you just turn that knob that says 1/2 turn max or if you have to loosen an allen screw or anything...i was in the middle of a 3D shoot and something went haywire..id have to look..but if it adjust just by screwing that adjustment, i may have easily bumped it...i know it was super stiff when i first went to the shop last summer...he set it so it just held my arrow up...i actually didnt check that tension adjustment...and if its too stiff i could see it throwing my arrow high..i believe that style of rest does fall as the arrow is shot...

will check it out tomarrow...hopefully my string is here and i can goto the shop and get it put on and get my arrows that been waiting a week and a half for me, get er all tuned up and be ready to roll...

tiller checked out fine and i check my limbs daily...im pretty anal about my gear if you cant tell lol...just never thought to check that tension adjustment...one of them things you kinda forget about
Old 08-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tension shouldn't change in the middle of a shoot,UNLESS the screws weren't tight to begin with.

Another words,you might have a screw loose.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like something as simple as your nock point being off. See if the arrow is going through the Burger Button(s). Then, go to your proshop and have them throw the levels on them. After you've been toying with the rest, also check centershot just to get that out of the way. Hope you get er' fixed.

Quick Reply: im stumped...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.