Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
REVELATIONS! (?) >

REVELATIONS! (?)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

REVELATIONS! (?)

Old 01-03-2002, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: REVELATIONS! (?)

Hey folks, glad you enjoyed my tale. It was such an eye opener for me when I realized the common denominator in all of those initially fantastic shooting setups...

Razor: Frank is correct. I took BP head andput it on the Winn glove because the trigger mechanism is much more "crisp" (and quieter to boot!)

Frank: Hey buddy, I appreciate it. It's nice to know someone gets something out of my ramblings now and then.

Tribal: The relax model takes some serious getting used to. Back in my pro-shop days I saw several people put arrows in the ceiling or walls of our range. But the people who stuck with them sweared by them once they grew accustomed to them. Finger shooters seemed to like it very much.

Rangeball: hope the Winn works as well for you again as it does for me!

Len: Absolutely. I don't have great form though I do try to always improve. My anchor does not really change when I switch back and forth, but I do believe that my wrist position has something to do with it making for more stability. I do shoot w/ a "classic" anchor (low, halfway between the chin and back of jawbone w/ the string running in the crease of my nose). One of these days I'm gonna make it to your shop, though I think I'll just wander in and act like a complete novice just to see the look on your face when I tell you who I am eventually!!

SAJackson: You might look into some of the TRu_ball and Tru-Fire models that use a Winn style glove and caliper head..it might be just the right thing!

NorthJeff: Yes, a small amount too much makes a big difference. As I alluded to before though, I believe it has more to do w/ wrist position and how solid it feels. Of course it could very well have put my drawing arm elbow a bit more in-line w/ the shaft and made for less torque as Len suggested. Whatever the reason, I'm happy.

ALL:

My intention was not expound upon the virtues of a certain brand or model of equipment, but to emphasise that we may often not be shooting what is entirely best for us in accuracy and forgiveness because of "peer pressure", ignorance, or in my case a stupid desire to "go against the grain" when it surely was not the correct thing for me to do. However, in my desire to be stubborn and not admit to the problem initially (or subconsciosly ignore it), I eventually forgot about it, and caused myself a lot of frustration for the past few years for really no good reason.

My question to y'all is (and be honest): Are you TRULY giving yourself the best possible scenario for accuracy & forgiveness? Feel like your draw is a tad or maybe an inch too long? Is that new model shooting worse for you than what is now your "backup", but you hate to admit it because of the big bucks you shelled out? Are you pushing the speed in your setup for no real reason other than to see what numbers roll up on the chrony's LCD, or shoot as fast as your buddies setups do? Feel like you shot better w/ those old slow aluminum arrows, or softer cammed bow? Think that maybe you purchased your newest bow without really trying all the others because it's what your buddies, or the pro's shoot?

Take some time and REALLY think about it..We have all done it, or will do it at some time in the future..But are you still doing it now, even though you are wise enough to know not to?

Happy New Year...Hope it brings happiness and lots of X's and antlers to you all!

JeffB
Old 01-03-2002, 07:10 PM

JeffB,

I really like the Topgun release, I wouldn't switch back to Winn or the Tru-Fires, believe I shoot better with the Topgun, the anchor and draw are just right.

Along the lines of the shooting what is perhaps not the best for you I would ass another Revelation.

I had been shooting a PSE Lightning Bolt with a wood grip that I had work to get just right. Filed it down to give it a low grip position narrow throat, lines up everytime in the right position on the meaty part of the palm under the thumb(if I described that right). OVer the last three years I got a Hoyt Striker II and a Martin Cougar to mess around with, both good shooters, but I seemed to always get occasional lefts and rights. Could never seem to hold as solid either.

So happens, I yanked to old PSE out after a 3 year layoff put some SIms stuffon(main complaint it was loud, even made me jump), after checking strings and cables, nocked several arrows, BAM slapping shafts at 40 yards again, something I could never really do with the MArtin or Hoyt, although both are certainly capable.

The things is both Hoyt and Martin are using a somewhat square-ish back of the riser as part of the grip with either wrap-around or half-grips. I never could get a real consistent grip for my bow hand on those 2.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

Oh let me tell you what a sweet release the winn is, in the fall of 2000 I broke my wrist I was shooting a trufire wrist wrapper. Every time I shot it would send a jolt to my wrist that almost brought me to my knees. I dreaded the thought of shooting. I bought a winn because of the recommendation of a friend, and It was the greatest feeling to shoot without the pain.

The funny part is I broke my wrist in oct. but I didn't go in to the doctor 'til Jan. I had to wear a cast for 6 months. during which time I cut off the cast several times a couple of times it was so I could wear my Winn instead of the trufire.

I think I will be having a long relationship with my Winn seeing that I still have wrist problems.

Old 01-04-2002, 05:42 AM

JeffB, I'm curious as to why you prefer the Winn glove over the one that was on the Bear Paw. Do you feel you shoot better with the Winn glove as opposed to the BP glove?
Old 01-04-2002, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

I also use a winn release. Have used one now for 8 years and have NO intentions of switching! I bought the new winn(came out last year) with the loop hook mechanism! So I can easily grab onto my string loop. Great release!
Old 01-04-2002, 09:30 PM

Jeff just read your story You should submit it to bow hunter magazine. Im glad Im not the only one with that problem two years ago I tried to go to a release from fingers never got it quite mastersd into the subconcience. and started missing deer then came a new bow and that even made my shooting feel even more awkward. missed two deer. paper tuned till I was seeing red. finally in desperation took off my costly arrrow rest threw on an old one disinged for fingers and went back to fingers shot unbeleivably well compared to how I did with the release and bagged a nice deer the next day. So the next few years after I did really well deer hunting then this last year watched an indoor 3-d contest on one of the sport channels guys hitting targets 50 to 60 yards I was inspired to try a release again this time spending endless hours practicing I even impressed my wife 3inch groups at 40yards and again managed to blow a shot at a deer that I know I would haved bagged had I been shooting fingers. So I definately Know where your comming from .For me it has nothing to do with the release aid Ill be the first to admit there more accurate than fingers and it may be I havent found the right one but, as far as hunting goes Im back to shooting fingers Its just more comfortable for me Its how I learned and we are all creatures of habit.I like the quietness of fingers I like the low maintenance I like no serving wear I like not having a cluncky thing dangleing around my wrist making noise hitting things blocking binoculars I like the cost of a tab over a release the simlicity of tuning. the speed and reliability of fingers . Well enough of my yakin I just thought I'd share my little revelation with ya. Oh yeah I to am contiplating feathers to vanes. Ill obsess more on that one after I find my ultimate finger rest. Have a good one.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:55 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

After injuring my wrist (construction accident), I had to give up my beloved Fletcher 3D. Bought a Winn SS Caliper, which kept me shooting. It's good for hunting, but I've also done pretty well with it for 3D and field rounds. It also gives you maximum draw length.

The only thing I don't like is you have to "safety" it by pressing on the back of the trigger as you draw, lest you get an accidental discharge. For this reason I tried Winn's new hook loop model, but sent it back because it has a horrendously stiff trigger pull.

Tried the Tru-Ball Grizzly glove. Great trigger, but the darn thing is so squishy and flexible. It's like a greased dishrag as you draw; you have to squeeze it like mad. Plus I lost about an inch of draw length over the Winn.

(Wish I could get the crisp release of the Fletcher 3D on the Winn glove. Best of every world: No need to safety the trigger, maximum draw length, firm glove, and crisp release. Any manufacturer listening?)
Old 01-05-2002, 09:08 PM

Man I have condemed short ATA bows because I wouldnt give up my Winn. It was the release I learned to shoot with, heck its all I know about release shooting. That is a pretty cool idea though the tru fire head on a Winn glove. I just bought two carbon arrows to experiment with been useing alums forever but so far they are pretty impressive. I think if a person learns to shoot with a winn release its gonna be tough to get used to any thing else hill
Old 01-07-2002, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can anyone think of a reason the scott mongoose release head (made for a wrist strap) won't fit on a winn glove?