Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Refletching question >

Refletching question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Refletching question

Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Refletching question

I'm in the process of refletching some of my arrows. I am using a dull kitchen knife to take my old feathers off and I'm having trouble getting all of the glue off of the shaft(s). What do you guys recommend me doing so that I can get the arrow cleanand apply wraps and new vanes? WhenI keep scraping the arrows to remove glue it seems like I am damaging my arrows (by removing carbon). By the way my arrows are Carbon Express CX 300 if that matters. Thanks ahead of time for any replies.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 PM

Default RE: Refletching question

I recommend buying an actual arrow stripper. It will make your life so much easier.

This is what I use and believe me, it works wonders.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&a mp;langId=-1&partNumber=23959&hvarTarget=search&c mCat=SearchResults
Old 07-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I used one of those befor, worked O/K, a bit clumsey though, I ended up cutting a half moon at the bace of an old knife and putting a edge on it and it works great, easier to hold than the tool for me. After removal of the fletch and glue I rub the shaft with some scotch brite to remove the rest of the glue, then hit it with some alcohol on a rag to remove any oils and debree.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

By the way, I forgot to mention, hold the knife at a 90 degree angle to the shaft or you will cut into the carbon.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:13 PM

I use the Zip Strip. I really like it. It is simple to use, does a great job and does not cut into the carbon, or aluminum arrows.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:52 AM

When I keep scraping the arrows to remove glue it seems like I am damaging my arrows (by removing carbon). By the way my arrows are Carbon Express CX 300 if that matters.
It's fairly easy to damage carbon arrows and it's not very important to get all the glue off. Lightly scrape with the knife at 90 degrees to the shaft and don't get anal when it comes to getting it all off. I won't hurt anything to have a couple grains of glue stuck to the shaft.

With carbon arrows it's a serious safety issue when it comes to damaging the shaft. I don't recommend putting any solutions on the shaft that may damage the resins that hold the carbon fibers together. If you're not certain, don't risk it.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: jcpopejr

I'm in the process of refletching some of my arrows. I am using a dull kitchen knife to take my old feathers off and I'm having trouble getting all of the glue off of the shaft(s). What do you guys recommend me doing so that I can get the arrow cleanand apply wraps and new vanes? WhenI keep scraping the arrows to remove glue it seems like I am damaging my arrows (by removing carbon). By the way my arrows are Carbon Express CX 300 if that matters. Thanks ahead of time for any replies.
I see nothing wrong with using a razor blade knife if very careful. I use one and have only damaged one shaft out of many so far. I hold at a 45 degree angle and lightly scrape back and forth and turn the shaft once in a while. I find that it removes all vane, glue, etc..and will not damage the shaft or your hand if careful!
Old 08-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

ORIGINAL: jcpopejr

I see nothing wrong with using a razor blade knife if very careful. I use one and have only damaged one shaft out of many so far. I hold at a 45 degree angle and lightly scrape back and forth and turn the shaft once in a while. I find that it removes all vane, glue, etc..and will not damage the shaft or your hand if careful!
I agree with Red Lion and I use the same. I just use a razor blade and get the old glue off. You don't have to put a lot of pressure on the shaft for the blade to do what you need it to do.