Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

STS Question

Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default STS Question

The string on my tribute was making a slight 'twang' after the shot when i put on new cat whiskers. Instead of redoing the whiskers i added a STS. My bow went from shooting 298 fpsto 300 fps after i installed. Tested on the same chrono with the same arrow multiple times. Has anyone ever heard of this or could you explain why it happens?

The tech at the shop said that is common. I figured it would slow the string down a fps or 2.

PS. it definitely took care of the noise problem. I just ordered a MeanV CSS to replace the borrowed STS I used.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:33 PM

Default RE: STS Question

If you took the whiskers off, the removal of weight off the string could attribute to the gain in speed.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The whiskers are still on
Old 07-31-2007, 07:04 PM

You're arrow is getting a cleaner release from the string. W/out the STS, your string actually goes a little beyond brace, and then moves rearward (toward the shooter) to return to brace.....The tendancy is for the nock to have some rearward resistance on it at the point of release, again because of the string oscillation.....

BUT, when you install the STS CORRECTLY, your string comes to a dead stop at brace, and the arrow "snaps" off the string. A much cleaner release thus a couple feet per second faster......

I had that in my head, hope that makes sense the way I explained it...
Old 07-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

You're arrow is getting a cleaner release from the string. W/out the STS, your string actually goes a little beyond brace, and then moves rearward (toward the shooter) to return to brace.....The tendancy is for the nock to have some rearward resistance on it at the point of release, again because of the string oscillation.....

BUT, when you install the STS CORRECTLY, your string comes to a dead stop at brace, and the arrow "snaps" off the string. A much cleaner release thus a couple feet per second faster......

Very well said Mobow.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Thanks mobow. I understand and i thought of that concept also. I guess the clean release of the arrow off the string overrides the extra forward push you would get if the string traveled past the brace.

You emphasized the CORRECT installation of the STS. In your experience, should the stopper be slightly touching the string or just off it. Ive moved mine around a little and the noise want affected. Currently i have it 1/8" off of the string.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 PM

It should barely be touching the string at brace....If there's any gap, the string will go beyond brace..... You want that rascal dead as soon as it hits brace...
Old 07-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank for the help mobow. Ill adjust it tomorrow!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:36 PM

You're most welcome.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM

Not to disagree with MOBO buta fewbows i have came across do not like the stsstopper touching the sting... My mathews for instance does not like it.... I had to back it off about 1/16in off the string..It made a noisy thud that i didnt like and backing it off a little stopped this.. Where as my Oneidas, all have them are slightly touching the string... My point is i guess...dont be afraid to try moving it slightly to getthe best results for your bow...