Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 never owned a bow like this >

never owned a bow like this

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

never owned a bow like this

Old 07-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default never owned a bow like this

Whenever I bow hunted (been gun hunting the past 4 years now) I always used a traditional. Now my boyfriend just bought me a diamond bow for my birthday and i seem to have broken it already lol. I've never owned a compound before, so I don't know exactly how it is supposed to work. There is a little rubber tube that holds onto the strings of the bow, and when I fired it the first time it came off the rear string. I can't seem to figure a way to get it back on. Is it supposed to do that? Or did I break it already lol

Please help a poor dumb brunette
Old 07-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: never owned a bow like this

is the rubber tube attached to your peep sight??

if so dont worry about it. goto the shop and tell them you want a peep sight without that rubber tube

i never used one...but hear they are more trouble than they are worth. and if one snaps at full draw its got one place to go...your eye ball. that enough keeps me from using a peep with an alignment tube.

thats the only rubber tube i can think of on a bow...
Old 07-23-2007, 07:05 PM

I'm sure that's what it is.....Using a clove hitch ( any self respecting smoke eater knows that one) retie that tube to your cable...

Oh, and next time tell him you want a "real" diamond....
Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser is right about getting a peep tied directly in the string makes it so much nicer sometimes!

But.. the tubing is not that bad either just make sure you keep a new piece of tube on the string(no dry rotting or aging) and just tie it to the string and you should be fine!!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tubing peeps are handy for folks who don't have the knowledge about how to properly adjust a peep in the string. But the tubing can, and does, wear out. It can, and does, get UV damage and dry rot. All of which can, and do, cause that blasted tubing to break at the worst possible time.

It also can and often does cause the peep to slide up the string and out of position if the tubing is too short and the peep isn't served in real tight.

It's not something I trust enough to have on my bow. I'd recommend ditching the thing and installing a G5 Meta peep. Get it adjusted so it turns square to your eye at full draw and you're set. Without the tube you'll pick up a few fps in arrow speed and you won't have all that rubber flapping around and making noise.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

I see your boyfriend dida remake of the Diamond commercial but the roles are reversed. He gave you a diamond.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you everyone! Problem solved
Old 07-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the new bow. Diamond makes a great product.

Shane
Old 07-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Spike

Why a G5 meta peep and not a Jim Fletcher Tru Peep? I am wanting to know so I can decide which to try on my bow.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the Tru-Peep for 3D and target shooting and, if you're looking for a peep with the hole sizes that Fletcher makes, there is nothing better for the price. But the G5 is available in a size that has a peep hole you can dang near slide a Fletcher through. I like the wide open view because it's a big help in low light.

Now, I have to point out that the string angle at my ape-armed draw length takes the peep a long way from my eye. I need an oversize peep to get that clear view. For folks with a shorter draw and less string angle, where the peep is closer to their eye, they can get the same view I want with a smaller peep.