Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If you owned a shop........ >

If you owned a shop........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you owned a shop........

Old 01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default If you owned a shop........

I can't get over why a guy who owns a shop wouldn't have leagues and spot/3D tournaments at ANY opportunity.

Seems the guys around here do neither.

If I owned a shop......I'd have something going 3-4 nights a week. My thinking is.....SOME of the people are going to need my services while they're there. And....I'd have a pretty captive audience with my wares.

Why would a shop owner shy away from indoor tournaments.....other than just being plain lazy?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you owned a shop........

Family time maybe? Being open 8hrs a day then shooting at night.... idk? Id be all up for it, he could have different people operate the leagues one different nights and so forth, so....
Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Isn't the entire premise behind owning a business.....catering to your customers? I mean.....don't you have to make a business decision (business plan) designed around what's convenient for your CUSTOMERS......in lieu of what's convenient for YOU?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

We do stuff at my shot 5 out of 6days. With Monday being the only off day.

Just another thought. Does the shop owner shoot much himself?

Here is something else to think about. I don't know if it's different in NC, but if the range is included with the shop, he can't payout money legally. We had that problem when figuring out what to do for the winners. We ended up just giving out gift certificates to the shop.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on if it's their only business or they do it on the side like a shop close to me. But I'm sure if you volunteered to run them for him....
Old 01-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Site Bouncer

Jeff,

I guess it depends on how business is. With constant shooting (3-4 nights a week) comes higher electric bills, heat bills, not to mention the TONS of money that will be needed to be spent on targets/range maintenance. That's big money there and you will have to change them out more often if they are being shot at every night. In a lot of the shops around me, if no one is on the range, the lights are off etc...Then there's the added insurance due to liability that I'm sure would be higher if tournaments/shoots were being held. You will also probably need to higher more staff to run the shoots. (someone still needs to be behind he counter)

With all those added costs, I doubt they would make it up in additional sales, repairs etc...that no doubt would increase due to the sheer traffic through the shop. I suspect they would have to be pretty successful before venturing into something like that.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Why would a shop owner shy away from indoor tournaments.....other than just being plain lazy?
Jeff, my nearest shop built a tremendous indoor shooting facility. He and his wife built above the range part, its a really nice home. He used to have an indoor league for both spots and 3D shoots. He got lazy and does none of the above to my knowledge anymore. In fact a person never knows when he is going to be open, gotta make sure and call first. Besides being lazy I don't think he saw much $$$ in doing it.

The nearest(25 miles) Bowtech/Diamond/Martin dealer has winter leagues for both spots and 3D. Has a great business because he loves doing it, being around archers, and his wife supports him.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The shop where I go had them when he first opened but he had no intrest in it this time of year. Most people around here have other stuff going on and archery is the last thing they want to do. So in the owners defence they might not have enough intrest to make some money at it so why do it.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Let's look at it this way.....

I pay $150 a year for the ability to shoot unlimited at my shop (used to). There are 20 targets in there....and let's say the cores need replacing every year.

So......dealer cost on a core....let's say is $50. So.....I'm paying for 3 new cores a year. you get 7 guys on the "range plan".....and the cost of replacing cores is a moot point.

Now.....add in the fees garnered from entry fees (everybody's gotta pay to play).....and let's figure you get 20 guys per shoot. Pay out 1/2 in gift cert's.....and you're getting an additional 160 (3 cores) every shoot. Have just ONE of these a month......for the 9 non-deer-hunting months.........and you've got enough to pay your help for the extra hours.

Let's also assume that there are more than 7 of us paying range fees.....PLUS what you charge the non range plan guys to shoot a round of 3D ($12).....and the light bills aren't an issue.......and you're actually making money on your range.

This is before the first person buys something.

I call the lack of having these shoots.....nothing short of lazy....and no less than a poor business decision.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Jeff theres onlya couplethings you can do.... pick out a building, go to the bank, and give me a call when your grand opening is.

Quick Reply: If you owned a shop........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.