Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Power needed to open an Expandable? >

Power needed to open an Expandable?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Power needed to open an Expandable?

Old 07-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Power needed to open an Expandable?

Last night I took one of my easton axis 400's with a 100 grain spitfire and pushed it through a tee shirt and a couple other pieces of clothing. They only opened about half way. Is this because the material needs to be thicker? Or is it because I pushed them through? Would they fully deploy if I shot them through? Any thoughts on this subject. I was considering a chenge this year to the Rage two blade!
Old 07-21-2007, 04:58 PM

Default RE: Power needed to open an Expandable?

Almost any amount of power will open them, where the power comes into play is getting the penetration you need to reach the vitals or get a pass through.

I shot spit fires with a bow using a bit over 40 ft/lbs of KE and 350 grn arrows. They opened fine but lacked penetration. There are better mechanicals than the spitfires for lower KE set ups. I have a set of Nail Drivers that work very well.

Pushing a head through some material by hand in no way simulates shooting one at game. Mine opened on thin cardboard when shot from my bow.

Paul
Old 07-21-2007, 09:30 PM

I don't know how well quantified this is; but some of the expandables say on the package that 280 fps is the minimum recommended arrow speed.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Typical Buck

For what it is worth, a well tuned bow makes a lot of differance. I can shoot my Steelheads in my sons #45@ 27 and they open onan old hide thrown over a block target. I tried them after changing his restwith bad results.The arrow was kicking but they still opened. They only went in the block about two inches compared to four or five when the bow was shooting bullet holes.

His bow ?might? have the k.e. for them but i won't take that chance. Besides, he said Muzzys look cooler!
Old 07-22-2007, 05:45 AM

Part of the penetration forumula is how sharp are the blades, and the Rage blades don't begin to compare to the NAP products.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:02 AM

I have some Rage two blade expandables, and also have a bunch of NAP Spitfires. Although I know it's hard to quantify "sharpness", they seem to be about the same to me. Tried cutting paper, shaving hair . . . .Maybe I got a sharper than average batch of Rage's.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a LOT of mistruths and rumors about mech b-heads. They have to be one of the most largely misunderstood products.

Firstly, you can NOT try to simply push most mechs through something by hand. Physics suggest that it just wouldn't be anything even remotely close to the act of shooting the same product into the same test medium. Tests have consistently proved that the Spitfire you mention is one of the fastest deploying mechs in the industry.... even in balistic jello.

Concerning the Rage heads, they seem to beno more than a fad. Remember the still available RM Snypers.... SAME thing! The Rage is simply marketed better,nearly a decade later. Just like the Snyper was,it came out and was all the "rage" and then died out in a couple years. I'd take a Rocket Steelhead over one ANY day. In fact, Petersons Bowhunting, as well as others, have conducted independant tests that have showed the Steelhead dominates in penetration even compared to fixed blade heads.

Regardless of your choice, make sure you shoot your b-head from a well tuned rig and you're going to have great performance. Good luck and good shootin'