Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Quieter arrow?

Old 07-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Spike

Default Quieter arrow?

Hey guys,

This is the time of year that I start to apply all the lessons learn last bow season. First on the list is finding a quieter arrow shaft. I switched to a WB last year and absolutely loved it until the first time I drew it in an actual hunting situation...cold, crisp morning as I drew on a deer at +/- 15 yds....... "SSHHHHHHHHH". My arrow made an aweful noise that I hadnt heard when the temps were warmer. The deer looked right at me and I was busted...lucky for me I acted quicker than he did. Unfortunately when the same situation played out again a few weeks later the deer didnt stick around to figure out what the noise was...after that I tried dry graphite which helped but didnt fix the problem.I even wrote to CarolinaArchery and they suggested getting some cotton fibers from a cotton ball and get them to worked into the end of the whiskers....I dont have a lot of faith in that.....So here's my question:
Can any of you folks recommend a particular shaft that has a smooth finish that doesnt make "any" noise in the cold. All the major manufactures advertise some sort of micro-smooth finish...including the Blackhawks I was using last year. It can get really expensive trying to figure these things out on your own.

Thanks for your help.

MA_bwhntr
Old 07-05-2007, 10:03 AM

Default RE: Quieter arrow?

i had the same problem, but i stoped after i shot alot.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Spike

Thanks PA, but unfortunately my bisquit is well worn to the pointwhere I am considering snapping in a new one, so I dont think the is the problem. I am pretty convinced it is the arrow itself that creates an acoustic vibration when its cold out.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:57 AM

The Carbon Express Terminator shafts with the "Buff Tuff" finish are real quiet drawing back through the WB rest.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

The Carbon Express Terminator shafts with the "Buff Tuff" finish are real quiet drawing back through the WB rest.
That's odd because the Buff Tuff finish is the loudest shaft I've ever heard drawn across a rest (Other than aluminum on a spring launcher). I've got a guy that said it scared a record brown bear when he drew on it which I doubted until I actually heard him draw one back through his NAP 360. Wow was it loud! It was quieter over a Rip Cord but still not silent. The A/C Superslim was much quieter over both rests.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I have to agree. I've also found that on the WB's I've used that a brand new one and/or one that is worn alot tend to make more noise, not alot, just some noise. However, the prong type rest I started out with was very noisy.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

I have a WB and started out with old 2214's easton, they were loud.
Now I shoot ST AXXIS arrows and they are quiet enough ( they are heavier as well and smaller in diameter.

F.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Easton and Beman have the slickest and smoothest finish on any carbon arrow I have seen or used.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:55 PM
t3

i shoot the st epics and they dont make much noise, not enough to scare deer anyway (knock on wood)
Old 07-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Using the Whisker Biscuit and treating it regularly with Armor All, most all arrowshave beenpretty quiet. But I have never used it in cold weather. Maybe those bristles get brittle when they are cold.

Quick Reply: Quieter arrow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.